Author Topic: Which Bedford/ Somerset Gunsmith made this rifle??  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Which Bedford/ Somerset Gunsmith made this rifle??
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:57:59 PM »
Your thought would be appreciated, particularly if you have a signed similar gun. Unique features are
1. Patchbox finial  2. Incised carving  3, Sideplate 4. "In the Black"  5. Period "homegrown" wrist repair with available metal advertising plate

Thanks
Hurricane
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:13:25 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Which Bedford/ Somerset Gunsmith made this rifle??
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »
I would say without a doubt, it's a Jonathan Dunmeyer.
PS, Bob says it's a Peter Dunmeyer and he would know better than I.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:27:13 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Kirk Knupp

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 03:22:11 AM »
Stock shape, carving, engraving and cheek rest shape all indicate it's one by uncle Yoni Dunmeyer. Nice sideplate, different from the ones I've seen.

Offline Bob D

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:49:25 AM »
I would like to see a photo of the full rifle and know the barrel length.  I certainly lean towards it being  a Dunmeyer.  The fancy engraving and shape of the lock bolt plate looks like Peter's work.  Additionally, the only other Dunmeyer rifle I remember seeing where the incised loop contains a single rather than a double line was on a rifle with Peter's initials on it's eagle plate.  Could be an early Dunmeyer Somerset rifle which in my opinion was a transition stage between Peter's Bedford rifles and what became the Dunmeyer's easily recognised and most often seen Somerset Rifle which is usually attributed to Jonathan.   A barrel length considerably longer than 36 inches might put this rifle in that transition stage.   At this point I would assign the rifle to the Dunmeyers.  Further information may narrow it to Peter or Jonathan or both.

I am glad to see a Knupp join the group.  I would like for him to contact me at gmrkg@att.net so I can learn a bit more about my GG Grandmother Barbara Knupp and other ancestors.