Author Topic: Figuring out my smoothbore pistol  (Read 3695 times)

The Goose

Figuring out my smoothbore pistol
« on: April 21, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »
I am relatively new to shooting muzzleloaders, compared to most folks here. And I am really new to shooting a flintlock pistol. I got this one from TOW, it is .60 smoothbore and is marked M.A. Taylor, Sheffield. It is my first ML pistol. Now that the weather is warmer I have been shooting more and I really enjoy this pistol. Initially I found that a .600 Lee ball was way too tight. I could not get even the thinnest patch to work. So I went to a .595 ball with a .015 patch and 50 grains of Goex 2F. It was extremely tight  to the point that after a few shots I could barely get the ball down the barrel. I tried a bare .595 ball, but if I lowered the barrel it would just roll out. I figured that was not a great idea. I tried a .010 patch and that seemed perfect, but for the heck of it I tried a .600 ball without any patch. It seated firmly and did not roll out, but it seemed a bit erratic in terms of accuracy. Today I hit the range and played around again. I think I am beginning to get close. At a friends advice I lowered the charge to 40 grains of Goex 3F under a .595 ball and a .010 patch. The group below is 10 shots at about 25 feet. All else aside I am just having a great time with this pistol. A lot of fun!

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Figuring out my smoothbore pistol
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 02:45:43 AM »
Good looking gun and group. Have you tried any shot loads yet
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »
I am happy for your acquisition, and the joy it has given you.  I'd like to suggest the following:

Try a .570" - .575" lead ball (meant for a .58 cal rifle!) and a good cotton patch minimum .018" thickness.  This will give you enough compression of the patch material to give a decently tight load, and enough cloth to carry lots of lubricant to give you no fouling issues at all, and respectable accuracy.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline old george

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:00:08 PM »
That group, with that size ball would really give somebody a heartache ;D

gro
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:06:50 PM »
Like Taylor, I would favour a smaller ball and thick patch.  30gr. is probably a good load for plinking, but for bear or self defence I'd want a stiffer charge of powder- probably in the 50 to 60gr. range, just because.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

The Goose

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have some .58 balls. I will give it a try.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 07:50:57 PM »
Buck and ball is fun, too.  Silhouette target at 10 paces is a good range for that type of testing.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V