Author Topic: Anyone have recommendations on TVM kits?  (Read 29968 times)

blackjack

Anyone have recommendations on TVM kits?
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:57:32 AM »
I've never built a rifle but after perusing the forums and watching a lot of youtube videos, I'm tempted.  It looks like a reasonably good rifle could be built from Track of the Wolf kits or TVM kits.  I like TVM products so I'm leaning toward ordering one of their kits.  What I'm after is a nice light flintlock in .32 or .36 that's not too nose heavy.  I'm very much in the beginning stages despite having read a lot on here already.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.  I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way, but hope to avoid huge pitfalls ahead of time.  Thanks in advance for anything you care to offer.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Anyone have recommendations on TVM kits?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:40:25 PM »
You can build a nice rifle from a TVM kit. I think Matt's kits are set up for straight sided barrels so for a 32 or 36 cal i would go with  13/16" barrel to keep the rifle from being nose heavy. Good luck with your build.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »
I built a .32 some years ago with a 3/4 in barrel. It handled very well.
Which TVM are you referring to ?   There's T. V. Muzzleloading [ Matt }   and T.V. Manufacturing  [ Randy ]

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 04:11:35 PM »
TVM kits are probably better for a first build than some others in that they already have a lot of the tricky stuff done, such as the basic fitting of the butt plate, the underlugs installed and the rear lock bolt located, drilled and tapped. The down side is that you are pretty much stuck with a generic type of semi production rifle, not that there is anything wrong with that, and its a step up from the kit version of a production piece. Use it as a learning experience and in the meantime get some books and start studying the historic guns.

kaintuck

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
 ;D
I got my 1st from TVM....years ago.....still my favorite cause mom bought it for me, and she was my 1st~ a 50cal GM straight barrel...accurate as all get out!

call and talk to the folks....that will give you ideas too..........

marc

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
  I would recommend a Jim Chambers kit. They cost more, but you get more. A lot more.

Turtle

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »
 There are 2 TWMs. Tennessee valley Muzzeloading and Tennessee valley manufacturing. I have no experience with the first, but have done much business with the last. Good inexpensive BASIC components and work-no frills. their smoothbore 20 ga barrels and siler locks are good.
                                                         Turtle

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 12:21:39 AM »
Pecatonica is another good choice for a small bore. They'll do what ever you don't want to as fay as inletting goes too I believe. Get a swamped barrel who ever you decide to go with.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

ejcrist

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 01:27:00 AM »
I built their Late Lancaster in .40 as my first build/assembly and I think TVM's are an excellent choice for a first go-around. They're easy to put together, you'll learn a ton of stuff along the way, and they're some of the most reasonably priced kits and a great value. Since that first rifle I figured out I like swamped barrels better so I've got two builds going on now; one is a Chambers kit and the other a TOTW. These two kits offer a bit more flexibility but I'm glad I built the TVM first.

blackjack

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 03:23:06 AM »
Thanks to all for the advice.  I think I'll go ahead and order a TVM kit and let the learning commence.  Already prowled lowes today buying vises and sanders and looking hard at a drill press.  I'm sure I'll be back with a thousand other questions and am amazed at all the info available on here already.  Again, thanks to all!

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 04:19:15 AM »
Take Mike Brooks' advice about a swamped barrel.  A straight octagon 13/16 barrel 42 inches in length and .32 caliber is nose heavy.  I have one in .36 caliber that isn't a lot better.  If TVM is the way you want to go, call them and ask if they will inlet a Rice A profile swamped barrel like the Southern Classic.  If they say yes, call Jason at Rice barrels and buy one.  I think he's got a batch in production right now.  If they say no, really think hard before plunking your money down.  My tuppence worth.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 12:53:08 AM »
I shot a straight barreled 13/16 X 42" .32 caliber gun for years and found it to be a real tack driver. A little muzzle heavy but not bad. Of course that was 30 years ago and I was much more manly back in those days..... :P
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:41 AM »
I agree; get the stock routed for a swamped barrel.  TVM(uzzleloading) kits are acknowledged to be about the easiest for a first build.  Spend a little extra for a swamped barrel and the lock of your choice regardless where the kit comes from.  TVM, by the way, uses the same quality parts all the others use.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

blackjack

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 03:41:06 AM »
Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciate those who suggested a swamped barrel as that is what I have on my Jaeger, but for this one I decided to go straight barrel.  TVM is putting my kit together as we speak and I hope to start this rifle building journey in May. It will be a .36 cal with 38" bbl, siler flintlock and Early VA style stock. I'll post results as they come if it's not too embarrassingly bad.  Thanks again for all the advice.

For you swamped barrel advocates, I'm already sensing this will not be my last build,...!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:14:54 AM by blackjack »

jamesthomas

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 04:22:24 AM »
Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciate those who suggested a swamped barrel as that is what I have on my Jaeger, but for this one I decided to go straight barrel.  TVM is putting my kit together as we speak and I hope to start this rifle building journey in May. It will be a .36 cal with 38" bbl, siler flintlock and Early VA style stock. I'll post results as they come if it's not too embarrassingly bad.  Thanks again for all the advice.

For you swamped barrel advocates, I'm already sensing this will not be my last build,...!

A 38" barrel will not be too nose heavy, I have a 40 cal. straight barrel that's 36" long and it balances very nice.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 12:44:26 PM »
I just yesterday started putting together a Pecatonica virginia kit for a local guy. (I don't often put kits together anymore but he was a local. You gots to be nice to your neighbors. ) Anyway, This one had alot of options completed. Swamped barrel inlet, lock inlet, triggers inlet, buttplate inlet, barrel lugs mounted and sight dovetails cut. So, you can have as much work done as you like. For me personally most of this stuff doesn't really save me any time, but for others it probably really helps get the build done.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 04:39:06 PM »
My first build was build from a blank with the barrel and ramrod inlet, but nothing else.  Everything went well.  I have since built a few kits and I think I get a much better inlet by doing all of the work than by cleaning up an inlet that is already started.  I do like having the barrel lug dovetails cut.  As Mr. Brook said I really don't think it saves much time on parts such as the lock etc. 

Coryjoe

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 07:45:35 PM »
I shot a straight barreled 13/16 X 42" .32 caliber gun for years and found it to be a real tack driver. A little muzzle heavy but not bad. Of course that was 30 years ago and I was much more manly back in those days..... :P

Mine is 38", 13/16" .32 and too muzzle light with a hickory rod - so I use a 5/16" steel rod in the channel - it's still a bit light in the forend, for me. Each to his own. I would have preferred a 44', I think and could have forgone the steel rod.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 11:14:22 PM »
 But Daryl, ..........you do your pushups every day and you shoot those huge moose loads with over bore sized balls and .024 denim patches... :o :o   ;D ;D ;D  . many of us old !@#$% have to define muzzle heavy a little differently.  :'(

Good to see your over here on the builders page!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:15:22 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

blackjack

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 01:17:27 AM »
Okay, TVM kit arrived yesterday.

My first complaint--there's no warning label that your first day with a kit you'll spend so much time at the workbench that your neck and back will hurt like crazy.  Now I understand why rifle building takes a long time--you can't handle but so many hours straight through hunched over with your eyes squinted.

My first victory--those horribly misshapen hunks of brass that are supposed to be your buttplate and trigger guard can be pretty awesome once you spend several hours of filing and emery-ing them.  It feels good to see how nice they can shape up.

First roadblock.  I know all about barrel tennons because I watched Mike Belivieu's videos and read Peter Alexander's books.  But the TVM kit comes with two little holes drilled for each tennon and you're supposed to solder them in.  My basic problem is that I'm no solderer.  Fitted them with no problem, but solder won't stick to the barrel or the tennon on a bet.  (Here is where you learned, experienced, or simply bloviational experts can chime in.)  Any suggestions will be respectfully taken under advisement.

I thought of just ignoring the little drilled holes, cutting some dovetails and ordering a couple tennons from Track of the Wolf, but that's sort of the most draconian approach.

Anyway, in other news, the stock is shaped beautifully; I will make a few changes just for asthetics.  I'm going to be brave and try some simple carving and maybe inletting of a hunter star or even a disk in the wrist.  The Siler lock is all rusty and tight as all get out, but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it as Jeb Stuart used to say.

Barrel is straight, 13/16" and 36" long.  I'm surprised at how well balanced the gun is already even before construction, and I"m gonna take a lot of wood off the front of it.  Also, gonna stripe the ramrod, just for the cool factor.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:20:33 AM by blackjack »

Online T*O*F

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 01:25:30 AM »
But the TVM kit comes with two little holes drilled for each tennon and you're supposed to solder them in.
I don't think so.  They are supposed to be staked in.  Track and others sell the tool to do this.

If you choose to cut dovetails, chances are that you will have to get different tenons to install.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 02:25:13 AM »
Tenons are easy to make.  You can either cut and file them out of some iron stock or fold them from sheet brass etc.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 02:53:35 AM »
Welcome to our insanity.  Enjoy the ride and good luck.
Just a note concerning tools.  I   suspect you will find that you can make due with a power drill, a round and flat rasp, wood chisels and lots of patience.  Take your time and buy other tools as needed. 

ddoyle

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 02:58:56 AM »
Step away from the credit card and away from the hacksaw and dovetail file. Take the time to learn how to solder, Lots of good tutorials on here. Well worth learning.  basically bent hacksaw blade to hold the tenon, clean, close fit, flux, don't touch flame to joint and it will stick.

Peter's book details both soldering and tenon folding IIRC

You really must be able to solder if your keen to build guns. Luckily it is bar none the easiest part.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 08:15:56 AM »

I have a 13/16" .32 straight barrel that is nly 38" long. It is too light with a hickory rod, so I slip a 5/16" steel rod in the pipes. That makes it 'just' shootable. I do wish it had been 42" or 44" long to increase the muzzle weight a bit, then a hickory rod would have worked just fine.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V