Author Topic: Rounding of Oct barrel bottom  (Read 3764 times)

SuperCracker

Rounding of Oct barrel bottom
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »
I have seen, on early and mid 19C guns (smooth/shotgun), where the builder rounded the bottom half of the octagonal section of the barrel. Presumably this is to make inletting easier as "meticulously match barrel flats" becomes "hit it with a small selection of half round planes til it fits".  Was this also done in the mid/late 18C on O-R barrels?   I haven't been able to see originals that early with the barrel out.

Thanks all

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Rounding of Oct barrel bottom
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:38:21 PM »
I haven't seen this but it's a lot easier to chisel wood than remove metal.  Inletting a barrel is not a big deal for a stocker who has done dozens.  My guess is that on such a barrel they simply didn't take that much time to make the octagonal flats look good, where they would not be seen.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
If by "builder" you are referring to the barrel maker, I agree many early barrels are less "finished" underneath and I too have seen octagon/round barrels that appeared to have been left mostly round on the bottom of the octagon section.

I don't know that they were left this way out of consideration for the guy ultimately doing the inletting or not.  I suspect in "production" guns of the day that might have been a consideration to save time, both in barrel production and inletting.  It certainly seems reasonable.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »
Lot easier and faster to leave the bottom round than to forge/file flats on it........
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:56:44 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

SuperCracker

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:59:29 PM »
That's true.  The two 19C originals I have with the rounded bottoms are what would be considered "productions" or hardware store guns. They certainly would have different shops turning out barrels than were setting them into the wood.  So I'm sure they were saving time.

I was wondering if it has been seen that American late 18C shops were doing it too.  I rounded off the bottom half of a barrel for a 19C build and with a good vixen file it only took a few minutes. Definitely less time that you'd spend making flats in an inlet.  Of course, even if it was a time saver there is no telling what fashion or technical superstition of the time might have dictated.  

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »
I've got a small Spanish O/R smooth barrel from Dixie that is round under the octagonal section.  I have carried this with me for YEARS. One of those Turner 'have I got a deal for you' barrels. His picture with crossed barrels.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 09:47:41 PM »
Wasn't one of the Harpers Ferry rifles Oct to round with the underside of the octagonal portion of the barrel round?
Mike Lee

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 11:09:42 PM »
The early models of the 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle had the lower octagon corners rounded off, presumably as a weight saving measure. Later models didn't bother.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 12:46:06 AM »
The flats on the bottom were never rounded off, they were never filed or hammered  in. Some what common on trade level guns. (cheap level fowling guns)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline whitebear

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 04:10:11 AM »
I don't know about smoothbores but a friend has a rifle that has the first few inches at the breech filed octagon and the last few inches at the at the muzzle filed octagon with the remainder of the bottom flats rounded.  The top five flats were filed octagon over the entire length.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot