General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

5½ weeks until Heffley...

(1/11) > >>

Harnic:
Time to get serious about my offhand shooting.  As I have lamented several times here, I have a problem shooting my rifle offhand.  It shoots good groups off the bench & when I do my part quite acceptable groups offhand.  My problem is the drift to the right when I shoot standing!  The poi is fully 4" right of my aim point at just 25 yards which translates to a clean miss of the target at 50 yards!  I'm still at a loss to explain this problem.  If it was entirely flinch related my groups should be all over the place, but the groups aren't half bad & after an hour or so of shooting rival the ones shot off a sandbag!  I've locked up all my other toys including my week old brand spanking new Ruger 22/45 Mk III target pistol until September so I with only shoot my flinter for the next 7 weeks.  Wish me luck & feel free to offer suggestions!

Daryl:
Looking forward to seeing you there, Harry.  It's sure coming up quickly. going to pick up some more powder when I get home from Ontario - this weekend, I think.

: Roger B. - sure hope you can make it - the more the merrier.

; Just noticed the time- have to go to the 6th floor and wake up Taylor and and Heather - they're flying out today for Prince George.  Trace and I are going to Ottawa to try to straighten out the government. visit some museums, too- HA!

ironwolf:
  Hey Harnic. I understand your state of anticipation. 'Round these parts, the wait for the Alafia Rondy is excruciating.
  For that offhand gun, set your sights for the offhand p.o.i.  A common problem seen when benching an offhand gun.

Have fun, Kevin

Harnic:
Hope you have a great time back east Daryl, & a safe trip back home.  I too look forward to swapping tales around the fire with you, Taylor, Roy, & all the rest of our merry band at Heffley!  Yes!  Roger & Kevin need to try to get there too!  :D

I tried changing my sights Kevin, but I often shoot from a rest so that messed that up & it appears I'm moving while shooting offhand & the point of aim changes at each distance.  I just need a LOT more practise shooting offhand.  I'm in much better shape this year, so hopefully a month of intense shooting will correct my aiming problem.

ironwolf:
  Could be a follow through issue.  Look the ball into the target.   Practice, another good reason to burn powder.

Have fun, Kev

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version