Author Topic: 5½ weeks until Heffley...  (Read 25347 times)

Daryl

Re: 5½ weeks until Heffley...
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
Harry - begin thinking of a way to set up a chunk or bench shoot at Hefley.  I'd rather see a chunk shoot, personally.

Harnic

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 07:10:56 PM »
I'd like a chunk shoot too Daryl, if we can do it without the prone requirement, like sitting on the ground with crossed stix.  That would be fun & my whiplashed neck won't mind it either.  We could shoot it prone or off the stix, each shooter choose which works best for them.  I'll make up a set of crossed stix & see how it works.  I'm sure Gordon & Jim can squeeze in another shoot or two.  Good idea as usual Daryl!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:13:28 PM by Harnic »

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 12:33:19 AM »
This will have to be discussed with them at hefley this year, towards having this shoot, next year. Trying to add it in this year won't work.  People need to know about it ahead of time, so they'll be know about it before the shoot.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 04:29:53 AM »
 No, just throw one! Use what ya brung. Next year they will know what to bring. Use logs or blocks for "chunks."

Harnic

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Daryl, I agree with Roy, just pop something new in that's not on the schedule!  Keeps things interesting! ;)

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 12:04:07 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 11:51:40 PM »
Hey Daryl & others:
I'm hatin life right now because I will not be able to make this rondy this year.  First, I forgot that you now have to have a passport to go across the US border north or south, & when I came to my senses it was too late to get one.  State Dept. says average wait of one month.  I also had some interesting discussions with the Canadian Firearms Center about bringing a muzzleloader with me.  We got hung up on the fact that my rifles don't have serial numbers & you are required to enter one on their form.  I finally talked with a lady who said to enter "NA" there, but I really wonder if the customs guy at the airport would agree with her.  That isn't the time to find out that she was wrong.  Anyway, I really regret not making it this year, but will make it my big planned vacation next year if I still have an invitation.  I met acouple of Canadians at the National Western Rondy this month & really enjoyed talking with them.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 04:56:23 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Roger. I had some fly fishing trips planned as well.  As to customs and firearms requirements, flint rifles and smoothbores don't have to be registered here, so 'NA' would apply.  Cap guns on the other hand, are considered firearms (please don't ask why - we don't know) here and have to be registered. Just what the law requires of target shooters, I don't know.  Might be interesting to find out for future use. There are several couples from the States who come to Hefley every year. We'll ask them - if she'll talk to me this year - HA!

Teach

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 07:18:46 AM »
Here's a link to the Cdn Border guards website, you'll notice there's no mention of flint long guns ? For that info go to this website,
http://cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html
also have the phone # of the Cdn firearms centre with you 1-800-731-4000, also if you call that # from the USA they have a lot of info for bringing your guns in.
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/powder_e.asp

Cheers teach
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:43:45 PM by Teach »

doug

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 05:52:16 PM »
      The applicable regulations are cc84 1a which says that original muzzle loaders are antiques, cc84 1b which says guns prescribed by regulation are antiques, SOR 98 -464 which says that flint lock, wheel lock, and match lock long guns are prescribed antiques, and finally cc84 3 which says antiques are not firearms unless used in a crimes and for that reason are exempt from registration but not from safe storage regulations.
     If any of you are coming to Heffley and want a scanned copy of those regulations, send me a private email and I can email them back.

cheers Doug

doug

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »
    I forgot that I already had those regs in Photobucket.  Here they are for any that want to print them out.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »
Missing this trip truly sucks, but it is my own fault.  I read through the regs for bringing firearms into Canada & have a pretty good grasp of them.  My problem seems to hang on the fact that I wanted to bring my custom percussion Hawken which I have been doing well with lately.  I managed to win a long range match with it in Wyo this month.  Anyway, it does not have a serial number & the lady that I eventually talked with said to simply put NA on the form.   I told her that it was percussion, & thus a "gun", but she stuck to her advice.  Knowing as I do that government functionaries throughout  the world will even contradict themselves from caller to caller, I thought it might be a good idea to ignore her advice for the time being.  I wonder if they would be happy with a "serial number" engraved on the bottom flat of the barrel?   The short answer would have been to bring my Henry English pattern, but I don't have it worked up yet & can't hit a moose with it.   Perhaps the same "SN" on the bottom of the barrel & lock?  I don't know, but I'm really angry at myself for letting this opportunity slip by while I was busy with "life".
Roger B 
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Teach

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »
Roger they would be happy with any serial # you were to stamp or engrave on your rifle.
Taking copies of the regs, and having the CFC phone # handy will help to expedite you through the border.
Cheers Teach
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:45:21 PM by Teach »

doug

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 08:19:58 PM »
     Assuming the barrel has a hooked breach, then there should be no problem with a serial number on the bottom of the barrel since you can easily demonstrate it.  The number can be any of your own choosing but be sure to specify home made for make that way you don't have to worry about duplicating an existing number on a factory gun.  Prior to the current Firearms Act, I took two of my guns south with a bar code (from Customs) stuck inside the patch box and a stamped photograph (by Canada Customs) of the guns.
     I am not sure that would work today because all new guns are supposed to have a serial number stamped on them plus I believe the initials of the country of origin.  A number like USA 1234 presumably would satisfy Canada Customs, assuming they know the law (a big assumption).

cheers Doug

Harnic

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »
When it comes to our border a-holes you can't assume anything other than they will try to screw you with every tool in their sizeable basket!  They have consistently proven to be the most pig-headed hard to deal with pr*cks imaginable in every dealing I've had with them, consequently I don't travel outside Kanada anymore, it's too frustrating coming back home!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 08:02:52 AM »
 The American Border guys are nice fellows, they actually crack a smile! Not ours,prix. I pointed a camera at one once! Boy,did he come un-glued! I was quite short with him and let him know that I had been paying taxes in this country before he was alowed to be born! He didn't like that answer either!
 I forgot my birth certificate once not long ago. the American Border Officer said they would let me pass if i could prove I was a Canadian. You will have to answer a few questions.
 (1) What colour are the Oak leaves on the Canadian Flag?
 (2) Who was the Canadian president before Paul Martin?
 (3) What is the capitol of Saskatchewin?
 The "president" one was a joke,but for the life of me I could not remember his name. I told him he was the Frenchmen that talked out the side of his mouth! Then I showed him how!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:57:49 PM by Leatherbelly »

Harnic

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 04:23:26 AM »
Man, I hope it cools off a bit by the 23rd!  This weather is going to be setting powder horns off at the events!

Daryl

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 04:39:50 PM »
You and me both Harry- at least a guy can sit in the shade and sip a cool one or 5.

Harnic

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2008, 05:56:12 PM »
Daryl, not that it's very accurate, but the long range forecast is for MUCH cooler weather by the 22nd, so bring your rain gear too!

Teach

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2008, 11:00:27 PM »
When it comes to our border a-holes you can't assume anything other than they will try to screw you with every tool in their sizeable basket!  They have consistently proven to be the most pig-headed hard to deal with pr*cks imaginable in every dealing I've had with them, consequently I don't travel outside Kanada anymore, it's too frustrating coming back home!
Sorry to hear that Harry, I travel to shoots in Washington quite frequently, a couple of times coming back after I've declared my pistols and rifles I've been told to have a good day  :o Normally though  I'm asked to pull over and check my credentials.
What I've discovered is ; the border guards are not experienced in handling Canadians with firearms , and so I make sure I have all of my paperwork in a small binder, ready for them to inspect.Most of them bluff their way through it, one admitted he knew nothing, but last month I was checked by the Superintendent, very pleasant young lady, asked lots of questions, was honest with me about not knowing,  when I asked her about "prescribed antiques" and she asked me to explain.
I've been going to Heffley for 11 yrs, and I'm taking this year off to go to a shoot in Wash.
I'll miss not seeing everyone of course, but not the politics.

Daryll, I like your idea for a new shoot, just wondering how many chunk guns are out there ?
I was thinking about a long distance m/l shoot , the organiser sets the distance some were between 125 and 175 yds, declares the distance after everyone is there  ;)
Set up the target stands at the prescribed distance, everyone takes one shot, make safe, walk down range and inspect target. Allow the shooter to post an aiming point on their target, if they wish.
Fire 5 rounds  all shots are benched, best group wins.
What do you think ?
Cheers Teach , formally nessy357  ;D

Harnic

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2008, 11:13:01 PM »
Sorry to hear you won't be at Heffley this year "Teach".

As far as my experiences at the border, I have solved them.  I don't cross it any more.  I have long lost my wanderlust, my dietary complications make travel very inconvenient & I get too ill if I am contaminated by any of the many allergens that are common in all processed foods.  There is so much pretty country within a day's drive of home I see no need to travel farther afield.

I too very much like the idea of a wider variety of shoots at Heffley, especially shoots that allow rests of some sort.  I hope we can get a round table going one evening up there & plant the seed for new & different events.

Daryl

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 06:57:12 PM »
Sorry to hear you won't be there, Mike.  Was looking foreard to seeing you. Guess I'll have to leave the new bows at home.  ;)

Teach

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 08:41:27 PM »
I hear you Harry, it was a tough decision not to go to Heffley this year, but I want to go to here this year http://wamuzzleloaders.org/ravensdale_2008_flyer.doc
I had a blast at their shoot in June ;D
Cheers Teach formally nessy357 aka Bob Nesbitt

Daryl

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 08:43:17 PM »
Wonder where I got the Mike from? Sorry Bob.

Teach

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 09:08:33 PM »
No problem ;D, Mike and I used to put on the Fort Shoot.
Next year the Pacific Primitives are in California, and a number of people from Washington are thinking about coming to Heffley instead of going to California.
Anyone wishing to bring rifles into Canada just call 1-800-731-4000 at the Cdn firearms centre.When you call that # from the U.S. you will get a different menu than when called from Canada ??? All the info you should need is on there.
Cheers Teach