Author Topic: rifle stock shape tn rifle?  (Read 12258 times)

Offline bowkill

Re: rifle stock shape tn rifle?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline bowkill

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
This is a pretty piece of wood...thanks tip..

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 04:46:30 AM »
Are these pre-inletted stocks from Tip Curtis?

Offline bowkill

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 04:51:30 AM »
yea he says he has 150 different patterns, and i would say he does....  builders paradise  Also bought a dubbs pattern shotgun stock and a colerain turkey 44 inch barrel . Fit meallot better than a french or english style gun.

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 05:03:42 AM »
yea he says he has 150 different patterns, and i would say he does....  builders paradise  Also bought a dubbs pattern shotgun stock and a colerain turkey 44 inch barrel . Fit meallot better than a french or english style gun.

I thought that the stock in your original post looked like one of Tip's pre-inletted southern rifle stocks.  I know Tip very well.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 07:20:03 AM »
And for gods sakes man......get a workshop cat!!!

And if you can't afford a cat, a least a dog...... ::) ;D

Marc n  Tom tom

If you can't afford a cat how can you afford a dog?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Ric27

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 01:39:10 AM »
The thing is, extra wood left on the forestock is about the most common mistake a untrained builder makes. In genera if you think you have taken off enough wood you probably haven't. There should be very little curve on the lower 2/3 of the forestock. Be methodical about the removal of wood and you will avoid a lot of misery.

1 get your top dimension down to half the flat (you will bring this dimension down further after you get close to final shape )
2 get you ramrod channel down to less than 1/2 the diameter if the rod
3 bring the wood down to about 1/8th" on both sides forearm (flat and even) you could leave this wider but not much (you will bring this down quite a bit more before you are done)
4 mark a line line the full length of the barrel about a little below 1/3 from top to bottom
5 mark line above the one you have half way between top of forestock
6 mark line below the half way between the ramrod channel.
7 file a flat front to back from almost the top to the 1st line you have at the top
8 do the same at the bottom.
9 now, draw a line in the middle of the two flats you just made
10 file a flat from the new lines to up and down to you original lines

Now you should have 4 relatively parallel flats on the forestock and the beginning of the shape you want that is the widest point at 1 third down the barrel and fairly steep slope to the ramrod channel. just keep in mind that the width begins to drop of at that top third point in the for stock. the for stock should not look meaty it should be almost delicate looking. Take it easy and keep it a straight and you will come out lookin' good

All this applies to the area in front of the entry pipe. behind the pipe is of course oval in shape but with the same max width at about the 1/3 point down for the top of the stock. Most times the line of max width is not straight horizontally and is blended as it goes over the entry pipe. Higher behind the pipe.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:44:52 AM by Ric27 »

Offline whitebear

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 08:38:07 PM »
This would much clearer if you could post some pictures.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 11:23:19 PM »
If you hold the gun to a glancing light from the top you will have a reflection line that runs along the highest/thickest  point of your curve... 1/3 down form top edge and 2/3 up from rr channel... make the line straight by filing up from the bottom and down from the top until you have it where you want it.

Bowkill what is wrong with that walnut stock??  Maybe I am just blind or looking for the wrong thing???
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:24:33 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline bowkill

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 06:29:01 AM »
The walnut stock in the picture was the original stock i built from a blank. Somewhere along the creation of the stock i drilled the ramrod hole where it goes into the stock about an 1\8 to the right. If you held it in your hands you can see it very well. Was trying to get done before spring squirrel season, so i went to tips and just bought a pre-inlet one. Wish he had some that did not have the lock inlet so i could have used a late ketland lock. That was the reason i used the piece of walnut to start with. Anyway i am about done. here is what the stock is looking like.