Author Topic: Need help with the big bore dragoons and Beck rifle.  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Need help with the big bore dragoons and Beck rifle.
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:43:34 PM »
I was drilling the lock bolt holes in the lockplate and used the clearence drill by mistake. I was going to use 8-32 bolts. Now I have to go up to 10-32 lockbolts.
I tried to order 2 bolts + 1 10-32 tap + 1 jar inleting black, total sum $17.16 from TOTW.  They want $40 to ship it to Norway.
Its totally crazy!!! $40 is their minimum shipping charge for sending abroad. Can anyone on ALR help me out? I can send you the money via paypal.
I also need a piece of curly maple grade 6, big enough for a patch cover(Beck rifle). It would be great if it could be sent in the same package.

Best regards
Rolf

SuperCracker

Re: Need help with the big bore dragoons and Beck rifle.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:27:18 PM »
I have fixed this same mistake before by drilling out even larger then peening and soldering steel rod in the hole then doing it over. If you peen the outside right you can't see the seem at all.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:28:21 PM by SuperCracker »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:57:18 AM »
I made the very same mistake on the rifle I'm currently working on. I too did as SuperCracker; drilled it out larger and filled the hole with a 1/4 inch round bit of rod, hard soldered it in and peened it. On mine you can see the seam still but it is very faint. Doing this is one option to consider.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline mountainman

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:20:27 AM »
sorry about your dilemma, but i don't think it should be too difficult to fix, like the other fellows mentioned,
By the way that's looks like a nice project, i was in fact going to build one that style, i even got some of the parts for the project, but i was still looking for those kind of ramrod pipes like you got, couldn't find em anywhere, i was just kinda wondering where you got yours from, or did you make yours?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:41:30 AM »
5 mm and 10-32 are nearly identical.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Rolf

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 11:41:24 AM »
sorry about your dilemma, but i don't think it should be too difficult to fix, like the other fellows mentioned,
By the way that's looks like a nice project, i was in fact going to build one that style, i even got some of the parts for the project, but i was still looking for those kind of ramrod pipes like you got, couldn't find em anywhere, i was just kinda wondering where you got yours from, or did you make yours?

I bougth them from MBS.
http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs2cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=9033623.23980&next=125&product=Thimbles

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Rolf

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 11:46:55 AM »
5 mm and 10-32 are nearly identical.

I'd have to make the 5M lockbolts.
My lath is packed away due to rebuilding the  cellar. It will be a couple of months before its up and running.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 05:28:01 PM »
Hard to believe these simple tools aren't available in Norway?  And you can make lock bolts pretty easily out of a variety of common bolts you can get at most hardware stores. 

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 06:13:03 PM »
Rolf, if you still need help with these parts, send me you mailing address (PM or email) and I'll check with my post office on the cost to send it to you. If the shipping cost is okay with you, I'll be happy to help.
John
John Robbins

Offline Rolf

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »
Hard to believe these simple tools aren't available in Norway?  And you can make lock bolts pretty easily out of a variety of common bolts you can get at most hardware stores. 
The hardware stores have only metric size taps and dies. All 5M bolts sold are plated and with  octangal (wrench heads).  I could make a 5M lock bolt, but my lath is packed away due to rebuilding my basement workshops.  Check link below.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34629.msg334285#msg334285

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Rolf

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 06:44:58 PM »
Rolf, if you still need help with these parts, send me you mailing address (PM or email) and I'll check with my post office on the cost to send it to you. If the shipping cost is okay with you, I'll be happy to help.
John

Thank you for your kind offer. It's already solved.  Another menber has offerd to send me the parts.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline mountainman

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 05:11:16 AM »
Thanks for the info on the ramrod pipes, I found them, I'll be ordering them soon.. Thanks again.