Author Topic: Punt Gun  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Punt Gun
« on: April 29, 2015, 04:04:46 PM »
Hmm,  how many grains of powder??

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Punt Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »
Don't know where or when this picture was taken but the "punt gun" pictured was in a friend's collection. He passed away about 6-7 years ago and it sold at auction. We have pictures of it with several of us.
Mark
Mark

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »
Hmm,  how many grains of powder??

GRAINS of powder?How many CANS would be the question.

Bob Roller

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 05:35:08 PM »
I just love those "G" man straw hats!  So that is what they used for the Dillinger stakeout! ;D
Joel Hall

Offline HIB

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »
Gentlemen,  The 'Punt Gun' pictured is a typical example of what the Eastern Shore coastal 'Market Duck Hunters' used quite some time ago [Approx. 1860 - 1925]. The bore size was significant and the powder and shot load equal to the task.

The 'Punt Gun' was fixed to the middle and bow of a low freeboard rowboat. The hunter, if you wish to call him that, would launch from a bayside dock primarily in the dark hours of the night and sneak up on a rafting galley of wintering Redheads, Canvas Backs and/or Blue Bills. From the perimeter he would arrange his best position and fire into the group of ducks. The kill would amount to from 20 to 50 ducks each time he set up and fired depending on the wave action.

The 'dead ducks' were picked up, loaded into barrels and sent to the 'primary market' of the larger east cost cities ie: NYC, Baltimore, D.C. and others. The 'Market Hunter' concept died out when laws were established to prevent this type hunting along with  a significant decline in the ducks themselves around the mid 20's.

Many of the coastal museums along the middle east coast states, primarily the Eastern Shore, have examples of the 'Punt Gun' in there collections. And they often appear in modern day 'Decoy' and hunting related auctions. Takes a big wall and they are butt ugly!!  Regards, HIB

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »
If you search for punt guns on YouTube you can see them shooting from a boat at balloons.....  reverse propulsion!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
Here in the UK punt gunning is still carried on by a few Fowler's  .These guns in their heyday were known has Tools of the Trade from which people made a living enclosed are some images of punt guns from my collection
Feltwad

The Punt

A stand of Fowlers

A brace of Punt Guns

Punt and Gun
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:20:30 AM by Feltwad »

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 12:20:26 AM »
My granddad had a book on Chesapeake Bay punt gun hunting.  I was fascinated at the images in it as a child.

Some of the images were actually a bit frightening to me:

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:38:15 AM »
Bill, pics 2 and 4 are punt guns, 1 and 3 are battery guns, generally smaller barrels but more of them, gave the pattern more spread and better densities.  True punt guns are the big single guns, 6-10' barrels, load with a coffee can of powder and a pound or two of shot.  The really effective way to use them was to mount a light on the bow, many were lanterns in housings with reflective backing, the light would mesmerize the birds so you could get close and whack 'em.  Wasn't uncommon to get over 100 birds per shot.  Of course having them bunched up tight over bait didn't hurt the numbers, either.   

Different time and way before me, but when you grow up a waterfowler on the Chesapeake, with family that's been here for generations and a father that was a game warden, you learn all sorts of things.   ;)

Find a copy of "Outlaw Gunner" by Harry Walsh to read, if you like this stuff it's well worth it!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 01:50:27 AM »
Hey, that might be the book my Granddad had:

Published in '71.  Seems I was younger than 9 when I read it, but memories do fade over time!

Offline okieboy

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 05:01:29 PM »
 How many grains of powder?
 Well, there are 7,000 grains in a pound, so 7,000 grains. :D

P.S. I put that photo on this site once with a "liar's" caption that it was one of my chunk guns. Since there are no limitations on chunk gun weight and length at most log shoots, it would be fun to drag this gun to the York and see the reaction when the sights are inspected!
Okieboy

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 11:29:09 PM »
These were also used extensively on the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers and the backwaters thereof.  I'm sure that most were locally made, but they are almost never signed.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 11:38:33 PM »
I saw one of these at a local gun show a couple of years ago. The seller wanted a whooping 350 bucks for it. As I had come to the show with a very small car, I decided I didn't want to place a red flag out of the hatch back, like I was transporting a long piece of lumber.  :o ;D
Joel Hall