Author Topic: Lauck inspired?  (Read 2564 times)

blackjack

Lauck inspired?
« on: May 18, 2015, 04:53:50 AM »
I'm calling this a "Simon Lauck inspired" rifle as it looks closer to that example in Alexander's Gunsmith of Grenville County than any of the others, though it is lacking some of Lauck's carving.  It's a .50 cal built 25-30 years ago with a 42" Green Mountain straight 7/8 barrel, a RH siler lock, a single curlique trigger built on a tiger maple stock.  Barrel attaches to stock by keys with brass escutcheons around keyholes.  It has a brass patchbox, an inlet star on the cheek piece, nicely done molding along the base of the stock, the length of the barrel and around the lock and features an interesting carving in front of the lock I've not seen on a long rifle before, but which looks great.  Buttplate and trigger guard look to be like those in the Lauck rifle photos.  For me this is a shooter, beautiful though it is.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:15:22 PM by blackjack »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Lauck inspired?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:28:32 AM »
I can't quite get past the lock panel. Probably just me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?