Author Topic: "burning" a deer antler powder measure...  (Read 9376 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

"burning" a deer antler powder measure...
« on: May 06, 2015, 02:34:14 PM »
OK.  Been a long time...

I have a nice little deer antler powder measure for my .45.  I would like to burn some geometric/Native American designs in it with a SoEast flavor.

Problem is...I made some metal stamps and the doggone antler will not take the burn.  ???

I get the stamps red/orange hot.  Nothing.  Is my stamp cooling off too much?

Anyway...anyone ever done this before?  I figured as always this is the first place to ask.

Thank you much guys!

ottawa

Re: "burning" a deer antler powder measure...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 03:38:20 PM »
sounds like the stamp is cooling . maybe try a wood burner to do it .It takes  lot of heat to burn the bone/antler. don't know if the wood burner will get hot enough . maybe try scrim with brown dye to give it that  burnt look .

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:54:34 PM »
 Deer antler is not like horn. It doesn't burn well at all. It behaves more like bone than horn. I would suggest treating it like ivory, and scratch your design into the polished surface, and then ink it with india ink, or watered down artists acrylic paint. After inking the design, buff off the excess, leaving the ink in the etched lines.

Hungry Horse

Online Collector

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:16:56 AM »
Deer antler is not like horn. It doesn't burn well at all. It behaves more like bone than horn. I would suggest treating it like ivory, and scratch your design into the polished surface, and then ink it with india ink, or watered down artists acrylic paint. After inking the design, buff off the excess, leaving the ink in the etched lines.

Hungry Horse

+1

No small amount of heat is needed to get antler to burn.  To get a permanent 'color' change, it takes approximately the same amount of 'focused'  heat that you'd need to braze a joint, or ~840 F.  

I finished the crown of my antler handled knife by burning it.

a.) First heavily soaked the crown in Neatsfoot oil, which I used not so much as a heat transfer medium, but as a temperature 'telltale' indicator.  
b.) Using a propane torch, the antler crown was burned totally black (really heavily charred) until the oil boiled/bubbled (really bubbled, until almost completely burned away.)
c.) Then the crown was re-soaked, heavily, in Neatsfoot oil, for cooling and
d.) The charring was cut-back/burnished with plumbers 120 grit emery cloth, followed by steel wool.  

Finished finish color looked like a cowhide saddle and varied, in color, across the face of the crown, lighter around the edges, where the heat dissipated quickly.

It took a tremendous amount of heat to ultimately attain a 'medium' depth of color.  It came out looking pretty neat, but I was really fortunate that I didn't destroy it by getting stress cracking (antler was 20 years old.)

Antler is really tough stuff...

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:21:20 AM by Collector »

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 03:22:11 AM »
Well some interesting and informative info.

I guess...I will "learn" how to scrim!

And...I will try to burn a handle one day, but as was said...sounds like a make or break situation.

Thank you guys.

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:58:58 AM »
Horn and Antler are two entirely different items. Horn is made up of the same ingredients (keritin) as hair and fingernails, etc. Deer do not have horns; neither do elk, moose, stags, caribou  etc.  Buffalo, Bison, Antelope domestic and wild cattleand sheep and such. Horn is easily worked with. Antler is solid calcium and a few other minerals. Antler is quite durable and quite hard and therefore a real chore to "burn" designs into.

Offline old george

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 05:28:40 AM »
There's always something new and interesting in this forum. Thanks.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »
"george":

The main reason I always make sure I still have this site bookmarked!

;)

Online Collector

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 11:11:16 PM »
I should probably elaborate on my post, in case someone wants to give it a try:  The antler and antler crown, I used for my knife handle, was not a shed, but off of a skull plate of a deer I'd shot 20 years earlier.  There may or may not be a difference, between working the two.  Cutting it off of the plate, slightly proud of the crown, gave me more material to work with.

Good luck!   

Pare Bowlegs

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 02:08:42 AM »
I have pictures of a couple Choctaw Indian powder measures, but they are post-Civil War. Nothing fancy. Sorry, but I still don't know how to post pictures on here... But I can email them to you if you like though. If you don't see something you like, you could use a design from a piece of pottery, a basket, beaded item or from an existing powder horn and incorporate that onto a measure. What tribe(s) are you wanting to use?

Pare-

seesbirds

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 06:36:57 PM »
I don't know if this will help but you might want to take a look at it anyway

Offline Dewey

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 03:55:18 AM »
Pure calcium is a metal.

Which reacts with water. Such a deer antler in the rain would make for an interesting but painful experience for the deer!
(Would get hot, bubble and make calcium hydroxide!)

Antlers, being bone, are mostly calcium phosphate with some calcium carbonate.

Online Collector

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 05:55:34 AM »

Hungry Horse

+1

No small amount of heat is needed to get antler to burn.  To get a permanent 'color' change, it takes approximately the same amount of 'focused'  heat that you'd need to braze a joint, or ~840 F.  

I finished the crown of my antler handled knife by burning it.

a.) First heavily soaked the crown in Neatsfoot oil, which I used not so much as a heat transfer medium, but as a temperature 'telltale' indicator.  
b.) Using a propane torch, the antler crown was burned totally black (really heavily charred) until the oil boiled/bubbled (really bubbled, until almost completely burned away.)
c.) Then the crown was re-soaked, heavily, in Neatsfoot oil, for cooling and
d.) The charring was cut-back/burnished with plumbers 120 grit emery cloth, followed by steel wool.  

Finished finish color looked like a cowhide saddle and varied, in color, across the face of the crown, lighter around the edges, where the heat dissipated quickly.

It took a tremendous amount of heat to ultimately attain a 'medium' depth of color.  It came out looking pretty neat, but I was really fortunate that I didn't destroy it by getting stress cracking (antler was 20 years old.)

Antler is really tough stuff...

Good luck!!

This is what it looks like... probably more of a caramel color.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:57:56 AM by Collector »