Author Topic: Another update on the fixer up...  (Read 4168 times)

1927modet

Another update on the fixer up...
« on: May 07, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »

Here's some pic I took yesterday with the barrel just laying in the stock......I also half to put the pins in the trigger guard.....put a few more coats of stain on the new piece to get it to match better and get the tail welded back on the breach plug....

My goal is to get this girl to shoot again.....For that I still need to get a few parts for the lock "well really one to get it to work" the Stirrup link was missing and the bridle is really wore where the tumbler pops out....
I also had to fit the trigger a little better because the slot was a little off when the stock was fixed.

Thanks guys....

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Another update on the fixer up...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
I'm inspired, I have an old double that has a big chunk of wood gone above right lock I need to fix. Not as bad as yours was. Looks like it's good for another 100 years or so.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

1927modet

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 05:48:55 PM »

I was looking for the part for the lock and found that the Enfield Rifle lock has the same guts.....So where is the best place to buy the parts.....

Offline louieparker

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:11:58 PM »
I have worked on several Enfield rifles and haven't seen  one that had the same internal parts as your lock....

longrifle

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 12:25:18 AM »
That is looking good.

1927modet

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 01:33:08 AM »

I think they look alike....

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 04:40:33 AM »
I think Louie is right you would be wasting your time and money on Enfield parts.  Here is a lock comparable to yours. Not exact, but similar. Most of these locks on the surface look like they are interchangeable but they are off just enough to mess you up. I have found in my own case you are better off making the replacement parts vs trying to buy parts from other sources only to find you have another part that is not going to work. This is a Joseph Goulcher lock. This main spring is more correct than the Enfield spring for your lock. One solution is to use new parts modified to work in the lock. One great source of information is The Track of the Wolf Catalog. It is a treasure in that they have full size pictures of the locks and castings. The main spring of my Goulcher lock is almost Identical to the one that is in the H.E. Leaman lock by L&R. I would be willing to be that they could be interchanged. I have an original late flint Manton lock that was missing a main spring and the one from L&R dropped right into the pin hole and the bolster groove perfectly. Even the Toggle fit. It was like they had used the original parts to make their molds for this lock. Good luck with your project.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:23:53 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

1927modet

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 06:45:05 AM »

Thanks for the help...see this is why I always read and ask questions....My thinking was this was a mass produce lock and they my have took parts from a popular rifle at the time and seeing how this rifle was originally sold in a hardware store "here in Cincinnati " and not really made by any great gunsmith.....

In  a earlier post I was given a name of a guy that could rebuild the lock for me.....After talking to you two I going to have him do it .......Right now I don't have that much in it and to get it shooting and not just a wall hanger is the goal...

Thanks....BTW ...Really good clear pics