Author Topic: Fitting a narrower trigger guard  (Read 2857 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Fitting a narrower trigger guard
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:27:26 PM »
Not long ago I bought a 30 year old "component set" for a rather generic Southern rifle.  The original owner had started on it but didn't get far and put it aside.  The stock is an incredible piece of curly maple that has a lot of wood left to allow me to do considerable shaping.  The lock, trigger, and trigger guard were crudely inlet.  The lock is a hard used percussion small Siler which I'm replacing with a percussion L&R Manton which would be HC for this type of rifle.  That's a close fit to the lock mortise and not a problem to change.

I have an opportunity with this gun to make it into a pretty decent looking gun in the style of the Philip Gillespie rifle shown on pages 36 & 37 of Dennis Glazener’s book, "The Gillespie Gunmakers of East Fork, NC".  I bought the trigger guard and butt plate along with the scale drawing from Dennis for the job.

My problem is that the original trigger guard that was inlet in the stock, though about the same length is too wide.  The Gillespie trigger guard is quite narrow in comparison, compelling me to do about an eight of an inch or more narrowing of the current inlet.  Filling with bedding compound is a total non-starter with me. 

I can think of two possible solutions:

One is to try to glue in a piece of curly maple that completely fills the current inlet and re-inlet for the Gillespie trigger guard.  The second is to try to glue in slivers of curly maple on each side of the current inlet and then re-inlet it for the Gillespie trigger guard.  I know I’ll never match up the pattern of the tight curl either way, but at least it will look better than bedding compound.

This is the first time I’ve needed to do something like this and would appreciate some words of wisdom from some of you experienced builders on how you’d approach it.  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Fitting a narrower trigger guard
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:10:59 PM »
Ok I will give you a third solution.

One is to try to glue in a piece of curly maple that completely fills the current inlet and re-inlet for the Gillespie trigger guard.  The second is to try to glue in slivers of curly maple on each side of the current inlet and then re-inlet it for the Gillespie trigger guard.  I know I’ll never match up the pattern of the tight curl either way, but at least it will look better than bedding compound.

Check with David Rase and see if his Gillespie trigger guard is wide enough to fill the inlet. If so see if he has any for sale. His guard is made similiar to some of the other Gillespie trigger guards and may be wide enough for you. If so I will gladly refund your money on the guard you got from me.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:23:55 PM »
If Dennis's solution does not work. Rob some peieces of wood from the toe plate inlet and use this to match the splices needed in the area for the new guard.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:30:33 PM »
I'm guessing without pictures here but how about soft solder brass (or steel?) on each side of the guard to widen it? Can you peen it out and refile to fit? Bob

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
Ok I will give you a third solution.

Check with David Rase and see if his Gillespie trigger guard is wide enough to fill the inlet. If so see if he has any for sale. His guard is made similiar to some of the other Gillespie trigger guards and may be wide enough for you. If so I will gladly refund your money on the guard you got from me.

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks, that's good of you to offer.  But I'll hang on to trigger guard I got from you.  If I can't make the changes to the stock to use it on this build, my next one is going to be a flintlock done on one of your Gillespie pre-carved stocks and I'll need it for that rifle.  I got the Southern Classic barrel for it from Jason the other day.  If the splicing trick doesn't work out I can always check with Dave Rase as plan B.

Mole Eyes

Don Richards

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:52:26 PM »
If Dennis's solution does not work. Rob some peieces of wood from the toe plate inlet and use this to match the splices needed in the area for the new guard.

The butt stock has wood to spare in that area and that's a good suggestion for the source wood.  I'd rather try splicing the wood to narrow the inlet rather than doing anything to modify the guard since I can use it on my next build, as I told Dennis.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards