Author Topic: Picture transfer  (Read 10741 times)

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Picture transfer
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:34:48 AM »
I know Acer says that the website will downsize pictures to 800x600.  The size is actually 700. If the wesite downsizes your pictures, you will have "impalations" or a fuzzy border. So if you make it 800 ,you will have a fuzzy picture. Edit your photos to 700 wide and they will transfer clearly. Or smaller than 700 of course.

If you look at Allen Martins recent pictures or smallpatches, you see a slight fuzz. My recent pictures are clear. I originally entered the pictures at 800, noticed the pictures were slightly downsized and fuzzy and redid at 700. It's 700 exactly.

Offline AMartin

Re: Picture transfer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the tip Bill ...... however if I leave em a bit fuzzy it'll hide my many mistakes !!

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »
Bill,
Acer and I were working with these setting early on in this site. This site resizes large images to 800 pixels wide if you posted image is bigger....... however if you post a smaller picture of let's say 400 pixels the site will try to enlarge the image to 800 pixels (very bad)
I found posting originals at 800 to 1600 pixels incurred no ill effects of being downsized on this site as long as they were sharp to begin with...... but if the site upsizes a smaller pictures they will not have the quality of the originals that were posted and will be fuzzy
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »
So if it's hot out, and I post a small picture, I will be warm and fuzzy?

I didn't realize that about small picture posting.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 05:53:23 AM »
Test run.

1115x697

850x309

700x357

Same photo, TIFF quality. Which is sharper.

I'm not criticizing, just trying to figure things out. You guys are fantastic doing this stuff. This site is a major source of sharing, learning, entertainment and keeping in touch and the world would be a lesser place without it.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:18:21 AM »
Boy, Bill, all three of those guns look great. Are they all spoken for?

I didn't know you could use TIFF. Learn something every day. In my experience TIFF files can be HUGE, so I have avoided using them. Unless a customer supplies me with TIFF, I don't use this format.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 06:22:35 AM »
Each picture may be framed slightly differently on editing, but the point is the resizing. 700 is it. Any change, though it will work and be nice, causes impalations. The website resizes to 700. For maximum clarity, edit to 700 wide.

Offline Collector

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 06:53:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice B Shipman.  It's definitely correct.  If you let your eye follow the edge of the top of the barrel, the set trigger and the bow of the triggerguard, in each of the photos, you can see what he's referring to.   

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 07:02:56 AM »
Acer, TIFF is unnecessary.  The next step down you will see no difference. I was just making a point using the maximum. In truth, it just takes longer to download unless you want miniscule detail like an amoeba.

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »
Bill,
You got me there!. Yes your 700 pix is the sharpest However do one at 400 pixels and post it you will see if folks post too small it trys to interpolate pixels where none are, which is bad.
The one feature that we were working on with posting bigger sizes is that even though this site reduces images to 700 or 800 pix wide ( what ever Acer set it at) if the original on photobucket is larger the folks can save it directly down to their computer from this site but get the larger version that resides on photobucket....yah then we see all the little mistakes Ha! Ha!

Bill; by the way, super work

Jim

"A brush of the hand

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:25:02 PM »
All my pictures are just going to have to be a bit fuzzy.  Most everything I have is the standard 800x600.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »
Boy, Bill, all three of those guns look great.

And then dumb butt me has to go back and look at it/them again and says to myself, they aren't different...are they? 

Tim C.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 10:49:57 PM »
You tell me.......which is the sharpest? the bottom one?

That's my guess.

So..........

uh, is we recommending a change? It's not hard to do.

Mr Filipski? Mr. Shipman? let me know. I just push da buttons, and den we look again. I can just as easily turn it back to 800 if we dasn't like it.

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:56 PM »
I would say leave it as it is. It isn't that much difference.
Tom: Don't change the site but in the tutorial you can say 700 to 800 pixels is the best to post.... (I still like seeing all those antique guns posted large on their off site areas so when they get here we can download them "big" but it is what ever you decide).
Keep in mind this doesn't affect the settings you have set up for this site. Only the rules for those posting images
Jim

"A brush of the hand

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:44:24 PM »
You tell me.......which is the sharpest? the bottom one?
It doesn't really make any difference, because everyone sees something different.  How a picture views on any individual screen depends entirely on the video card or firmware that person is using, as well as the size and resolution of their screen.  People with low res screens view them as compressed graphics, while those with hi res screens view them as uncompressed graphics.  Thus, no effective comparison can be made.  Leave it alone, it'll be fine for the majority.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 01:00:19 AM »
Acer, my opinion is go with 800 if it's not hard to do simply because it's a standard size. Then Stophel's stuff will come out clearly and he won't have any excuses. It's an in. or two wider on the screen as well which will actually allow more detail. Also, as far as I know, you can't resize a picture that's already been resized wothout impalations. You can't make an 800 into a 700. You have to have the original shot.

Acer, yes, these TIFF shots can be made into wallpaper or edited small.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 02:06:39 AM »
uh, is we recommending a change? It's not hard to do.

Mr Filipski? Mr. Shipman? let me know. I just push da buttons, and den we look again. I can just as easily turn it back to 800 if we dasn't like it.
Acer,
Don't you rmember that I reset it to 700 to keep from having to scroll back and forth. It seemed like 700 was the best compromise setting. 800 caused some to have to scroll back and forth to read the text (and see the entire photo).

Doesn't bother me one way or the other but I do HATE to have to scroll to read the entire line of text.

( I just checked and as its set now, I lose the last three or four characters of the text)
Dennis
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:08:20 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 04:22:40 AM »
Well, I'll be darned. I don't care what size the photos are, as long as we don't have to scroll back and forth. That drives me nuts.

Seven hundred?

once

twice

Seven hundred to the man in the funny hat.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 06:15:40 AM »
Dennis, I didn't think of that. 700 's good. You can crop closely to get detail.

Longarm

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 07:19:37 AM »
Bill, I don't care how fuzzy the picture is , the gun looks fantastic!

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 07:28:01 PM »
Then Stophel's stuff will come out clearly and he won't have any excuses.

Hey, I deliberately take my photos just slightly out of focus....

;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."