Author Topic: H. Gibbs  (Read 2892 times)

altankhan

H. Gibbs
« on: March 04, 2009, 06:12:43 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has any info/photos beyond Kaufmann and Whisker's materials  about H. Gibbs, Lancaster PA? 
(the general consensus seems the H is for Henry Gibbs who died in 1843).   

This is in reference to a rifle built smoothbore (.60 cal.), 16 inches of octagon to round on a 42 3/4 in. barrel -- looks early 19th century Lancaster, some rocker engraving on sideplate (similar to what you see on trade silver) and some stippled patterns on the barrel lands just below the wedding ring, near muzzle, and near breech. No patchbox or end cap, but otherwise rifle hardware and a fairly long toeplate and long ramrod thimbles.  Ketland flintlock converted to percussion. Stamped      H. Gibbs Lancaster (and possibly a faint "Pa") near breech

Kaufmann's description seems to indicate a number of Gibbs guns are known?????

thanks for any comments or leads

Sean

Re: H. Gibbs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:33:42 PM »
Sounds like a pretty standard Lancaster smoothrifle.  The Stacy and Whisker book 'Arms Makers of Lancaster' has probably the best info out there on the Gibbs gunsmiths.  Jim Gordon's book 'Great gunsmiths for the early west' has several Gibbs rifles in it.  Gibbs used faux, painted on curl on a lot of his guns.  There's a nice example in this catalog:

http://www.garyhendershott.net/catalog-141.html

Look at page 17, lot 35.

Why don't you take some pictures of your gun and post it in the virtual museum?

Sean

altankhan

Re: H. Gibbs
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »
Dear Sean -- thanks for the lead -- the piece I am examining looks more like no. 35, but I think with somewhat earlier styling (flintlock plate, somewhat softer lines, and real curl).  Rocker engraving very similar - I'll take your advice and look into posting pictures in the archives.

thanks again