Author Topic: Wasp nest wadding ?  (Read 6806 times)

wes k

Wasp nest wadding ?
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:17:37 AM »
Are the type of nests used in wadding the off white colored paper wasp nests you find under porch overhangs and such? Or the large hornets nests that hang in trees?
 Thanks,
Wes

Offline elk killer

Re: Wasp nest wadding ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »
i always had used the gray colored hornets nests
got them in the fall after it froze a few times
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
I prefer hornet nest and normally use that.  But I have found wasp nest to be satisfactory.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:39:51 PM »
I use the football shaped hornets nests that I gather in Jan/ Feb. I then squash them flat and cut into 2"x 2" (approx.) squares while they are still frozen. Dormant hornets will revive in the warmth of the shop (don't ask).
After it is cut up I put the pieces, minus any critters, in paper sacks. You can get a surprising amount of wadding from a good nest and it works well for over shot and over powder without setting fires when shooting over dry grass.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:44 PM »
I use the football shaped hornets nests
Early lesson learned at a young age.

I was in the 5th grade when I got my first BB gun.  We went on vacation to my Uncle's old family homestead in Crivitz, WI.  While out looking for targets of opportunity, I spied a hornet's nest.  Pumped a couple of BB's into it and hid behind a tree.  After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, I took a look.  BAM.....one was waiting for me and nailed me right between the eyes.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

wes k

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:28:34 AM »
Thanks guys, I found a bunch of paper wasp nests when taking down my hot tub and didn't know if I should save em.

jamesthomas

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
I use the football shaped hornets nests that I gather in Jan/ Feb. I then squash them flat and cut into 2"x 2" (approx.) squares while they are still frozen. Dormant hornets will revive in the warmth of the shop (don't ask).
After it is cut up I put the pieces, minus any critters, in paper sacks. You can get a surprising amount of wadding from a good nest and it works well for over shot and over powder without setting fires when shooting over dry grass.

Them dang Hornets don't go dormant down here, it doesn't get cold enough or long enough for them to, try to collect one down here (South Ala.) and you will set a new land speed record for running thru the woods.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 04:07:29 AM »
Don't know about using the nest for wadding but I do know a novel way of getting rid of such nets. Every summer Bald Faced Hornets would build a nest in the shrub tree at the corner of our back patio. These are belligerent little beasts and just have to go.  So have a couple cold beers.  Then get about a 3/4" pole about 6 ft long.  Lightly tape a cherry bomb or better an M80 to the end of the pole, light the fuze, spear it into the middle of the nest and back off quickly.  Stuns or kills almost all of them instantly.  But be careful walking around that area in bare feet for a couple days as there will be injured hornets crawling around on the grass bearing a grudge. 

Offline whitebear

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »
  Lightly tape a cherry bomb or better an M80 to the end of the pole, light the fuze, spear it into the middle of the nest and back off quickly.  Stuns or kills almost all of them instantly. 

Where in the world can you get a cherry bomb or M80 these days?  I haven't seen them in years around Georgia.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

jamesthomas

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 01:12:04 AM »
  Lightly tape a cherry bomb or better an M80 to the end of the pole, light the fuze, spear it into the middle of the nest and back off quickly.  Stuns or kills almost all of them instantly. 

Where in the world can you get a cherry bomb or M80 these days?  I haven't seen them in years around Georgia.

As far as I know they are illegal now, the firecracker people don't sell them any more. (to dangerous I reckon.) I would rather set off one of those insect sprays under it myself.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:40:54 PM »
Old hand towel wrapped around the end of a long pole - pour on some diesel fuel- light on fire and hold under at the nest's opening - burn 'em up.
I use cloth patches in my rifles and real wads in my smoothbore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

ddoyle

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
color of a nest depends on what they chewed up to make it. I played with it a bit was surprised how long the material will smoulder for though.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 01:05:09 AM »
Wouldn't want to make any illegal suggestions about M80s.  Didn't know they were illegal.  Have to dispose of my few remaining.  Looks like they are made of paper tube,  some fuze cord and some sort of dark powder which burns in a sudden puff when burned in the open.     

Offline Kermit

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:18:49 PM »
When a young sprout, I remember an Independence Day when my buddy's uncle was home on leave before an expenses-paid trip to Korea. He had a box of fireworks like I'd never seen. He was sitting in the back yard just at twilight, a few brews into a case, lighting cherry bombs with his cigarette, then holding them, wathching as the fuse sparkled. He'd give it a well-timed backhand flip at about a 45 degree angle so it flashed about 10-15 feet out. Spectacular, and worked well--until it didn't. Afterwards he had to pick up his beer with the other hand.

I wonder what well-chosen language Sarge used when he saw the man's trigger hand.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline heelerau

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 02:17:07 AM »
We have a paper wasp down under here in Western Australia, very often the only way you know a nest is about is when you disturb it and bang you get hit with all these red hot needles !! I think our variety would work as wadding, will try it in my fowling piece sometime this winter !!
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !