Author Topic: black powder source  (Read 5777 times)

caliber45

black powder source
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:31:26 AM »
I love Tucson's weather, but its supply of black powder is pathetic. Can you imagine a city of 1 million industrious souls not being able to support even one fully stocked, viable black powder shop? The only one I can find (Thundersticks) doesn't even stock 4F powder, and is "temporarily out" of 3F powder. Pretty crappy for a place that has, virtually, 365 days of decent-to-perfect shooting weather annually, what? I know TOTW ships powder, but does so in 50-pound lots, etc. Does anyone in the Southwest ship small lots -- five pounds, say? Any information appreciated. -- paul

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: black powder source
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:47:58 AM »
WWW>POWDERINC>COM

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:25:47 AM »
Grafs, Inc!

caliber45

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 05:15:34 AM »
Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. Better prices than I've seen locally -- even when powder is available here. - paul

mykeal

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
I'll repost this (latest survey as of 2/19/09):
Sorted by supplier:

Sorted by brand:

These prices include shipping and haz mat fee. shipping, where it matters, was calculated from the supplier to Michigan, so your shipping cost may vary.
Based on internet web side advertisements; in some cases phone calls were made to obtain shipping costs and other info.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:27:47 PM by mykeal »

northwoodsdave

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Is KIK powder generally comparable to Goex?  I like the price, but don't want to end up with a powder I'm not impressed with!

Dave

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Is KIK powder generally comparable to Goex?  I like the price, but don't want to end up with a powder I'm not impressed with!

Dave
Not in my rifle! ::)

northmn

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »
mykeal's chart pretty much follows what I have paid with Hazmat through Graf's.  As the Hazmat is the same for any amounts it pays to order in larger lots.  I just ordered 5 pounds, but 3 pounds was Swiss and I went over $100.  If you order the Graf's powder it is about $27 less expensive.  Goex has gone up a little.

DP

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:47:30 PM »
I laid in a good supply of Goex 3f along with a couple cans of 4f & 2f a few months ago.  Found myself needing more 2f now.  Definitely better to get the largest supply you can afford even if you have to go in with others (a good idea) to do it.  Finding powder and/or good prices locally seems to be difficult for most of us, now.

!Jozai Senjo!  "always present on the battlefield"
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:55:50 PM »
First you have to learn to attend the Western NMLRA shoot in Feb at Ben Avery Range (N. Phoenix).  There you can buy all you need.  You can also talk with your local clubs many of which go together to share  case sized order to get what they need on a regular basis. 

caliber45

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 04:17:32 AM »
Jerry -- I appreciate the advice re. the Avery range and local clubs, but there are two problems with that: 1. Going to the Avery range (125 miles distant) is a pain in the wazoo, and it requires a Tucsonan to go to (ptui!) Phoenix (which most of us Southern Arizona residents consider an odious task). 2. My contact with the only b-p group I can find in Tucson (Old Pueblo Muzzle Loaders) indicates the group has dwindled to only about a dozen participants. I guess we're quickly -- in these parts, at least -- becoming an endangered species, as other forum members have noted recently. Sad, that . . . - paul

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 12:43:24 AM »
Paul,  check out RioSaladosportsmans.com website and get the schedule for the muzzleloaders club.  Rio Salado is on the east edge of the valley cities versus the north edge as is Ben Avery.  They have a pretty healthy turnout for their muzzleloading shoots and can probably help you with your powder supply.  Sorry but you are going to have to come out of the weeds down there in Tucson once in a while.  Good news is you can get within about 3 miles of Rio Salado Sportsman's club on the 202 freeway east loop so travel is pretty quick.  (Get off at the McKellips exit east).  This way you don't have to drive through Phoenix of Scottsdale at all.