Author Topic: Need help on lock  (Read 2435 times)

Offline debnal

Need help on lock
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:46:15 AM »
Would like some help from the lock experts. I got this on gunbroker. This lock was on a musket. The seller said that there were no markings on the musket. And he had terrible pictures. But, he stated that there was an ironclad three day inspection, so I decided to get it. I thought, from his poor pictures, that I might be getting a second model Brown Bess. When I got the musket I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were, in fact, markings on the lock. The musket is a second model clone with a cherry stock, what appears to be American made furniture, what could be an American made barrel and this lock. It looks like a Bess flintlock. But, the quality is not up to snuff, the engraved lines are poorly done and the internals look nothing like a Bess lock. I think it may be a locally made lock. would like some opinions on this. The markings also. I have seen, in the past, a lock signed similar to this one. Has anyone else? Anyone have a guess on the IK mark?
Al

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Need help on lock
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:28:49 AM »
Its a commercial lock, which is exactly what it should be if the gun is American stocked.

Offline debnal

Re: Need help on lock
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:45:03 PM »
JV,
Appreciate your opinion. I take your answer to be: a commercially made, military style lock. Can you please provide some references? Any thoughts on the markings?
What makes this musket extremely interesting to me; the markings on the lock, the Brown Bess look/architecture to the cherry stock (to include beavertail carving at the tang and swell at the rear ramrod pipe), the bess type brass furniture (although the sideplate, butt plate and triggerguard are not dimensionally the same as typical Bess furniture), and the 42 inch barrel (round, no baluster ring at the breech, .75 caliber). I believe this musket to be as close to a "COS type" musket as I have recently seen.
Al