Author Topic: Help Identifying old muzzleloader  (Read 4027 times)

benspangler1992

Help Identifying old muzzleloader
« on: June 01, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »
My neighbor brought this over today in the hopes that I'd know something about it, but I don't.  Anyone have any idea about where this was made, approximate date, or any other details?

It's a percussion cap shotgun, appx 12 ga.  and has a 40.5" barrel with a bead sight.  The only markings on the action are  "EVANS" behind the hammer and "E" in front of it.  Any thoughts?

I'm having trouble posting the images, but here's a link to them on my google drive:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_xT9YXXZzL0fm9yemZ3WERPWTZIVWtLekE3V0NHTWRiNkZGY2Y0TGFBRnhPeklTZkpkN1E&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:19:25 AM by benspangler1992 »

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Help Identifying old muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:35:06 PM »
I think you have a sporterized version of a French or Belgian military musket. Its hard to tell without closer examination.  Any markings on lock or barrel?

Offline whitebear

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:38:55 PM »
I have to agree with Nate that is definitely a military stile butplate and trigger and guard.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

benspangler1992

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »
Nate,

The only markings are "EVANS" and "E".  Doing some research turns up some results regarding Evans and Valley forged muskets, but they don't look like this one, the stamp is in a different place.

benspangler1992

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:50:51 PM »
http://bid.igavelauctions.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2065523

This musket looks an awful lot like mine, even has the starred spot on the action.  The stock is a little shorter on mine and lacks the barrel bands.  Is there validity in saying that it's a percussion cap- converted Charleville .69 cal musket made by the Evans family in Evansburg PA?  Maybe some other alterations to the stock and barrel to be sporterized like you said?

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:23:37 AM »
I doubt that it is a Charleville or Charleville clone. Biggest problem is the Charleville, 1795 and on up through 1812 all had the sling stud set in front of and separate from the trigger guard bow. The lock is clearly a conversion from flint to percussion and seems to fit the mortise.  Evans was a contract maker of muskets for the military and this could very well have been made by them.  When I get the chance I'll stick my nose into some reference books and see if I can come up with something more definitive.  Are the usual proof marks on the barrel (V P and eagle)? Just for the heck of it you might search for a U. S. Model 1808.  Working from memory there might be some similarities there but I don't have any references right at hand to check. Best Regards, jack

Old Bob

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:07:12 PM »
Edward Evans contracted with Pennsylvania in 1801 for 1,000 Charleville pattern muskets. But none of these arms have been found with is name. Owen Evans also contracted with Pennsylvania for 1,000 Charleville muskets in 1797. His are marked EVANS and CP behind the cock and CP and P on the barrel over a Liberty Cap.  Owen and Edward Evans Jr. contracted with the U.S. for 4,000 Model 1808 muskets in 1808.