Author Topic: Hawken lock cutout  (Read 5014 times)

eddillon

Hawken lock cutout
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:08:32 PM »
Anyone have a method that insures that the cutout in the lock for proper alignment of the nipple and hammer?  I have done trial and error method in the past and have been fortunate.  Now that I am older and maybe a little wiser, I want to proceed cautiously. 

Tree

Re: Hawken lock cutout
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »
Track of the wolf has a tool that helps with this problem. Just go to their website.

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:28:56 PM »
I have slant beech hook breech..  I m trying to determine placement of the cutout in the lock plate so that the hammer meets the nipple properly.  Don't see any tool for that at TOW.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:03:40 AM by aka california eddillon »

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 01:27:47 AM »
I have slant beech hook breech..  I m trying to determine placement of the cutout in the lock plate so that the hammer meets the nipple properly.  Don't see any tool for that at TOW.

Cut some card board (shoebox)templates and make dummy lock plates then cut and adjust the bolster
scallop.Don't forget the position of the hammer.

Bob Roller

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 02:10:15 AM »
Thanks, Bob.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:57:50 AM »

Cut some card board (shoebox)templates and make dummy lock plates then cut and adjust the bolster
scallop.Don't forget the position of the hammer.

Bob Roller
This is the way to go -- Bobs right on the money ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

JB2

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »
A-ha!  I was wondering if that method could be used.  Now just gotta do it properly.

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 07:55:36 AM »
I've been wiring on re barreling an old rifle with a drum.  I found it helpful to use a compass on the cardboard template to show the path of the hammer throw.

Don't have it together yet, so can't report if it works but my hope is that it will reduce the trial and error of bending/welding & re-indexing the hammer

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 04:17:30 AM »
Here's how I do it...

Once the barrel and breech have been inlet, and before the lock has been inlet, I take the spring out of the lock so the hammer will flop back and forth.  With a nipple in the snail, I position the lock on the side of the gun, aligning the hammer with the nipple, in the down (fired) position.  I mark the front and rear extremes of the snail on the lock plate with a fine felt pen. 

Then it's to the vise, and with the hammer all the way back, I file away the metal between the marks, first with a half-round course file, and then with rat tailed files etc.  I return the lock to the snail with the barrel out of the stock, frequently, to check the progress.  When the hammer comes down and the nipple is in the centre of the cup, I stop filing, inlet the lock plate and the lock's guts, and then reassemble the lock and check out the alignment.  If you go slowly, and check frequently, you won't run into problems.  Take out less than half of the metal you think with make it fit, and then check.  Repeat until you're there.  I've done about three hundred that way without a single oops. If anything, you'll find that once the lock is inlet, you will need to remove a little more steel from the plate so that it isn't so tight.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 07:05:57 AM »
Great idea (free swinging hammer).

Been scratching my head- is there a way to duplicate that technique with a drum (where the nipple isn't attached?

CHARLY

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »
Great idea (free swinging hammer).

Been scratching my head- is there a way to duplicate that technique with a drum (where the nipple isn't attached?

Just got drum /nipple and hammer aligned ---spot on---all these parts were home made

---scrap mild steel --no imports ---BANG!---   works well-- #11 nipple /1/2 inch drum -
all hand filed /ground --
found a simple method by trial & error -not too difficult--

can show you many  PHOTOS -- --- of how its done( bush method )-----but -----
oh dear ---posting fotos here --?may as well re-invent the wheel--

Offline PPatch

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:29:23 PM »
Here's how I do it...

Once the barrel and breech have been inlet, and before the lock has been inlet, I take the spring out of the lock so the hammer will flop back and forth.  With a nipple in the snail, I position the lock on the side of the gun, aligning the hammer with the nipple, in the down (fired) position.  I mark the front and rear extremes of the snail on the lock plate with a fine felt pen. 

Then it's to the vise, and with the hammer all the way back, I file away the metal between the marks, first with a half-round course file, and then with rat tailed files etc.  I return the lock to the snail with the barrel out of the stock, frequently, to check the progress.  When the hammer comes down and the nipple is in the centre of the cup, I stop filing, inlet the lock plate and the lock's guts, and then reassemble the lock and check out the alignment.  If you go slowly, and check frequently, you won't run into problems.  Take out less than half of the metal you think with make it fit, and then check.  Repeat until you're there.  I've done about three hundred that way without a single oops. If anything, you'll find that once the lock is inlet, you will need to remove a little more steel from the plate so that it isn't so tight.

Slick... Thank you Taylor, I have been contemplating doing this and your method sounds perfect.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?