Author Topic: raw horns  (Read 4099 times)

brokenflint

raw horns
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
A few years ago there seemed to be a real shortage of horns of (domestic cow) either the raw or polished as a result of mad cow disease, this still the case?  Anyone know of a source of raw horns for cheap? 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: raw horns
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »
 What's cheap for a horn? Try these two:

http://www.powderhornsandmore.com/

or

leealarkin@gmail.com

Tim C.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »
What's cheap for a horn?
Tim C.

Tim,

That is a good question.  For several years I had a source for 18-24 inch long horns for $6.00 a pair.  That source dried up and I started looking around for another source.  The horns that Powder Horns and More and Lee Larkin have available for $18- $22 seem to be way to expensive until I go down to the shop and see some horns I bought 20 years ago from Karl Wilburn that are price marked at $20-$22 each.

Randy Hedden

American Mountain Men #1393

brokenflint

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:45:18 PM »
Tim - thanks had forgotten about powder horns and more.   I'll check in with Lee if he heads to friendship this summer. 

Randy   what kind of source? slaughter house? I seem to recall that domestic cattle more or less is usually dehorned, this true?   

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 01:22:53 AM »
 I ordered 5 today from John (Powder Horns & More) they came out to about, $15.25 each, add in postage and they were about $17.60 each.  These horns are  polished but there is enough thickness left that I have never had to waste one. Read the descriptions they are very well written. If you order 5 they throw one in for free, the free ones I have gotten were useable not trash.   
 Last time I was in contact with Lee, late Jan I think, his stash of horns had not made it to Ohio yet. His are rough as they come off with the core out. They take more work but are good horns.
 I would perfer to pick thru a pile, polished or rough,ala Dixion's but I have had good luck with these two guy and unless I could buy a big load I probably will stay with them.

Tim C.

This is a pile that Roland Cadle had at Dixion's last year, bought some from him too. Check with him at Village Restorations, 814-696-1379.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 01:32:55 AM by Tim Crosby »

Berks Liberty

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »
Dixons is where I pick up a lot of mine, raw and polished.  Ebay but you gotta watch some of those people on there, they sometimes have a hard time understanding that an oval horn won't round up.  Powderhorns and More is a very good place to get horns.  They know what they are selling and will tell you if it can round up or not.  The only issue I have with Polished horns is sometimes they thin them out to much at the Butt end so I 've had to cut off about an inch or two to get some thickness back in them.  Does save a lot of time. 

Berk

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:46:22 PM »
You all can't go wrong working with John at Powder Horns and More.  Their descriptions are usually right on and the horns are top notch and like Tim says, the free ones aren't throw aways.  Currently I'm waiting for a batch from Roland Cadle at Village Restorations.   Happy horning. ;D
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."