Author Topic: Fixing a tang bolt hole  (Read 5186 times)

jcovais

Fixing a tang bolt hole
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »
Is there a way to fill a tang bolt hole for re-drilling without having to weld it shut.  I have neither the skills or the welder to use...... Could an epoxy like JB Weld be used?    Or could a screw head be solder in and filed down?
Jim

Offline Pete G.

Re: Fixing a tang bolt hole
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:51:11 PM »
JB weld is NOT the way to go and trying to solder something will always show, especially right there in front of you on every shot. Either find a shop to weld it up (which sometimes will still show) or replace the piece with a new one and drill the hole where it needs to be.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »
Old time fixes would be to drill out a bigger hole, countersink it and braze a plug in place. If not possible then make a larger square hole, make a plug, countersink and peen the plug into place.
Andover, Vermont

jcovais

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:20:29 PM »
The hole will basically be drilled in the same place. Just at the proper angle with regard to the tang
I'm not sure if this makes any difference

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »
The hole will basically be drilled in the same place. Just at the proper angle with regard to the tang
I'm not sure if this makes any difference

I gather the slanted tang bolt hole is in the tang and not the trigger plate?  If the hole is in the right place but just slightly slanted I think you could get it welded over and re-drill it correctly.  If the current hole hasn't been countersunk yet; when the correct hole has been made and countersunk surely the head of the lock bolt would cover most or all of the repair.  I haven't tried that, but it seems logical.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »
Take your countersink in a hand drill and wallow it around until the angle is right.  Then drill the hole bigger.  Because the shoulder of the bolt does all the work, the hole can be a bit oversized.  You could also use a bolt with a bigger head turned to filll the counter sink if that is a concern.
Brice Stultz

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »
I agree with EC121 - if the hole is going to be virtually in the same place, you can adjust the angle with a file (chainsaw files are great for such things), and then adjust the countersink to the appropriate angle.  There are some parts of a gun that I intentionally push the countersink one way or another, so that when you tighten the bolt or screw it pulls the piece tight into the wood.
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

jcovais

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 07:40:02 PM »
Thanks for the help guys !!! As always it's appreciated

red owl

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 08:06:17 PM »
If it is the angle, can't you just counter bore a little on the bottom so the tang lines up okay, that way the top surface stays the same.
   The other answer, maybe a coupler, a threaded bar up from the plate into the coupler and the tang bolt down into the coupler.
   JB Weld NO NO NO

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »
I'm not sure I understand your problem.  Is the countersink off center or the tang bolt hole at an angle?  The advice above for centering a countersunk hole is ok, but if it is the hole itself, just tap it, add a short piece of correct screw stock, peen it well.  Then file the surfaces flat and drill again at the proper angle.  If you are drilling in the same spot, you'll never see it.  I often use this technique if I drill a little off center. 

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 11:34:33 PM »
I have done what Curt said, and soldered the screw into the threaded hole for good measure. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 01:57:25 AM »
Sometimes,  the easiest thing to do is replace the entire breech plug and tang; if you don't have a welder, that is. 

Offline draken

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 02:13:08 AM »
You could also cover up your boo-boo using the method described on page 49 of Buchele's "Recreatiing the American Longrifle."     Have never tried it, but it seems pretty simple.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!