Author Topic: Rice breach plug question  (Read 3957 times)

kaintuck

Rice breach plug question
« on: June 13, 2015, 05:02:35 PM »
I so far have been unsuccessful in getting touch with Jason.....I need to get another breach plug for the 50cal 44" swamped rice barrel.
Current plug measures in metric size??.... 19x1.5

My gauge and friends concurs it really not a true 3/4x16

Am I right? Does rice tap thi plugs in metrics?

Marc n tomtom

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Rice breach plug question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
Do you have a pitch gage? One of those little comb-like templates that you lay on the threads will show what the pitch is. This is much better than going by diameter.

The difference between 19 mm and 3/4 is only .002, so you need to check the pitch to be certain.

If you live in a developed country, run to the hardware store/auto parts and run the two different nuts on the plug.

Maybe your cat can tell you what you have, he seems to know everything.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 06:30:52 PM »
Jason is most likely at Friendship for the big shoot and out of touch for a bit.From discussions with him I seriously doubt the threads are metric.He'll be back in a week or so,I suugest you contact him then.

Mitch Yates

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »
Do you have a pitch gage? One of those little comb-like templates that you lay on the threads will show what the pitch is. This is much better than going by diameter.

The difference between 19 mm and 3/4 is only .002, so you need to check the pitch to be certain.

If you live in a developed country, run to the hardware store/auto parts and run the two different nuts on the plug.

Maybe your cat can tell you what you have, he seems to know everything.

Geese Tom....To much caffeine this morning :P that's what the farmers supply guys did for me....pitch guage said it is a metric.....we tried nuts outa the bin in the standard SAE, and none would spin on.
And tomtom isn't any help this morning...I got him a new cardboard box......all he wants to do is pop out of it, and act like he's scaring me in the shop........
Marc

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »
The thread-on plates at the hardware store won't fit is because they're meant for sloppier tolerances that are found on standard bolts at the hardware store. The breech plug is 3/4-16, and is a tighter tolerance and fit than any bolt at the store, which is why the nuts won't freely spin onto it.  I have several here that all thread into both Rice barrels I have on hand.  The difference in tolerances is why I don't particularly like when folks take a hardware store bolt and weld a tang onto it.  Machined plugs are worth spending $12 on if you can make them work for the style you're building.

That said, wait for Jason to get back from Friendship and he'll tell you exactly what you need to know. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 11:29:09 PM »
I agree with Eric. I bought the first barrel that the Rice boys ever sold and have used quite a few of them since. I don't recall any ever being metric.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 11:33:25 PM »
I have a barrel and breachplug I got from Rice a few months ago.  I had taken the plug out so it was easy to measure.  My caliper and thread gauge says it is a perfect 5/8 x 18 thread.  I would be surprised if Rice used metric threads.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:34:09 PM by frogwalking »
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 12:08:43 AM »
 ;D
Yes it is a 3/4x16......it's was listed on there web site.....I just didn't see it....I got one from TOTW on its way.
What needed was a long straight tang, but when I cut the stock breach plug, I got a little bad angle, then when I welded a flat bar....it was apparent.....to much of a angle, and the Lexington rifle doesn't have a real "curve" right away....duh....my fault, live and learn!

But heh, it's just a hobby right?

Marc n tomtom

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »
But heh, it's just a hobby right?

Marc n tomtom

There can indeed be a fine line between hobby and mental illness.