Author Topic: Rate of twist  (Read 3127 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Rate of twist
« on: June 16, 2015, 03:22:28 AM »
Measured twist in my 48 inch .45 barrel for my current build and it looks like 1 in 54. Any one have any experience with that combination?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Rate of twist
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:26:48 AM »
Close, I have a 1-56 and it likes about 70 gr. of 2f.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:38:38 AM »
I am getting anxious to see what it will do. I don't get much time in shop so it is taking forever on this one.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:59:47 PM »
In most calibres, twist is not critical - 40" to 60" to even 80" - all will shoot just fine in a .45 - IF, you take the time to find out what shoots well in it.  Usually the slower the twist, the more powder it will demand. Much depends on the ball and patch combination you use.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »
In most calibres, twist is not critical - 40" to 60" to even 80" - all will shoot just fine in a .45 - IF, you take the time to find out what shoots well in it.  Usually the slower the twist, the more powder it will demand. Much depends on the ball and patch combination you use.

This fellow speaks with authority, I try to learn from him as I can.  His observations here echo everything I have experienced and choose to believe about ROT's.  

Work up a good load, forget the rate of twist, enjoy.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:13:10 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 08:35:42 PM »
I agree with Daryl, at least in a 45. Years ago I had a percussion 45 with a 72 inch twist barrel. I am ashamed (and concerned about safety) to tell you the max load I loaded for hunting, it was in excess of 100 Gr of 3F, wonder I didn't blow the drum off! But the hotter you loaded it the better it shot. Contrary to many telling me it wouldn't shoot light loads it shot 40 grains of 3F very well.

Patching, anything I could get my hands on and still get the ball seated ;D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

kaintuck

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:52:44 PM »
I agree with Daryl, at least in a 45. Years ago I had a percussion 45 with a 72 inch twist barrel. I am ashamed (and concerned about safety) to tell you the max load I loaded for hunting, it was in excess of 100 Gr of 3F, wonder I didn't blow the drum off! But the hotter you loaded it the better it shot. Contrary to many telling me it wouldn't shoot light loads it shot 40 grains of 3F very well.

Patching, anything I could get my hands on and still get the ball seated ;D
Dennis

DENNIS....sounds like my 50cal GM barrel....I like 65gr....but you CAN shoot 120gr 3F, if your shoulder can stand it........
tomtom said so........