Author Topic: anyone draw file their barrels befor inletting them?  (Read 5481 times)

Thawk

anyone draw file their barrels befor inletting them?
« on: June 16, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
I wish I had.  Now I have small "paper thick" gaps in places.  There were 3 spot on each flat that needed a bit more work than I expected to get the machine marks out.  I don't think these will be noticeable when all is finished etc. But I was thinking next time maybe draw file then inlet the barrel. 

Offline flehto

Re: anyone draw file their barrels befor inletting them?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:27:51 AM »
I send the bbl/stock out for the bbl inletting and RR work and don't draw file until after this work is done. Never have gaps in the bbl inlet when the stock is rough shaped....seems to close up on the bbl. Of course w/ the Rice bbls, there's not that much to draw file......Fred

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »
I've drawn filed the barrels on a few projects before inletting when the milling/grinding marks were a little too course.  There is still some draw filing after project is complete, but no problem with gaps as you have mention.  Some barrel makers are better then others when it comes to shaping profiles, rice barrels are an example of having a nice finish.
Bob

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »
Wax and grunge will fill those small gaps after a year or so..... ;D

Marc n tomtom

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
Hi Thawk,
When you put finish on the gun the gaps will go away.  If they really bother you, thoroughly wet the wood, put the barrel in place, and wrap the stock and barrel tightly with surgical tubing until the wood is dry.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
I've draw filed the side flats with a minuscule taper or draft before inletting.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »
Yep I always drawfile the side flats before inletting. As Rich does, I file a slight taper to the sides to allow the barrel draw out of the inlet easier.

Cart ahead of the horse:
One caveat to the above, is that if you have not inspected your breechplug fit, and you later find you want to set the plug in deeper, you will need to screw it in one complete thread to keep the same orientation of the tapered side flats.

First things first:
Upon first receiving your barrel, pull the plug. Run a tight patch through. If there are no catches or loose spots, and the plug fit is good, proceed with the inletting.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

SuperCracker

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »
I've tightened that small kind of gaps around the barrel by cutting a piece of scrap wood about 1/16 smaller that the inlet then clamping it in place to pull the sides in and sitting it with a hot light pointed at it overnight.  Like a crude stock bending set up.

Offline ehoff

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »
I also draw file the two side flats prior to inletting the barrel.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 07:06:50 PM »
Draw filing and sanding a barrel is always one of the first things I do on a project. That way I have it to finished dimension prior to inletting. 

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
Draw filing and sanding a barrel is always one of the first things I do on a project. That way I have it to finished dimension prior to inletting. 

dave

Yes, but that I leave it about 95% done, knowing things might get knocked around during the rest of the process.  But I never thought of inletting a bbl without filing it.  Part of that is likely a function of starting out with bbls that _need_ a good bit of draw filing. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 11:59:53 PM »
on this build,my first I did.I could barely pull the barrel out of the channel.Figured its going to be done anyway and it was way to tight to begin with.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 03:03:59 AM »
As a lot of the folks said, the barrel channel will close up and the gaps will go away.   

That said,  I do draw file the barrel before inletting it; top five flats only.   I draw file just to get the machine marks out.   So, if the barrel was well sanded, just a couple stokes may do.   Also, draw filing properly (well chalked and frequently cleaned file/surface) will give you a surface as good or better than 320 grit paper.   

As Tom said,  I also make sure my breech plug is good before inletting.  I pull it to install the liner, so that is the time to make sure everything is right.   I prep all my parts before stocking and that includes the barrel.   I make sure just about everything is ready to inlet before I start stocking.  If you do that,  then you can get everything together in a couple weeks or less.   

I learned all this stuff after many mistakes.