Author Topic: barrel browning problem  (Read 2667 times)

huntmaster80

barrel browning problem
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:57:44 AM »
Hi I recently used Laurel Mountain Browning on my 45 cal barrel. I am fairly happy with the color of the barrel after several coats of the solution.  My issue is that after following the instruction and stopping any further browning, I am still able to wipe off rust from the barrel every day.  I am also noticing very very tiny pitting marks in the finish, which is ok because I want it to looked aged, but I dont want it to keep rusting!  Can anyone give me some information on how to stop any further rusting!!!  Thank you in advance for any help

Offline moleeyes36

Re: barrel browning problem
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 03:15:48 AM »
There are many here far more experienced with Laurel Mountain Browning Solution than I; however, it sounds like you put the solution on a little heavy and didn't card it well between coats.  That is probably your pitting problem.  It sounds like you didn't stop the action of the solution causing it to continue to work and produce rust.  You could try washing it well with soap and water using a soft bristle brush.  I'm assuming that you've oiled the barrel and you'll need to get all the oil off it.  Then wash it well (again with the brush) with a strong solution of baking soda and water.  Rinse it, dry it, heat it to a very warm temperature and heavily coat it with non detergent motor oil.  Let it stand for a day and wipe off the oil.  That approach has worked for me in the past but other folks more experienced with the product may have a better approach.  Good luck.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 04:07:18 AM »
Rub it down good with an ammonia soaked rag (outside) or do the baking soda deal, rinse well and dry it, then heat the barrel and apply motor oil to it. let it cool a while then run patches in the bore, leave it overnight then repeat with the patches and leave the bore oiled as usual.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 04:19:17 AM »
Yup...what patch said......it'll slowly stop, and after a week, should be stable. Kinda scary, but neutralize it, oil n heat it......then oil it, wipe it once a day......it should stop in a week......then just oil or wax it. Put it in the wood.......good for about 200+ years!

Marc n tomtom

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:28 AM »
Clean it with soap and water, neutralize it with ammonia or baking soda and water, then coat it with linseed oil and wipe it to a thin coat.  Seems to stop the rust much better than motor or gun oil for me.  Your mileage may vary.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »
I prefer the ammonia wash to baking soda because it leaves no residue, however the baking soda method will show you that it is working by reacting with the acid in the browning solution. You will usually get a small amount of bubbling when the two come in contact.