Author Topic: rear lock bolt/ breach plug  (Read 3067 times)

Offline bob in the woods

rear lock bolt/ breach plug
« on: June 18, 2015, 04:13:42 AM »
How important / historical is it for the rear lock screw to go through and so be captured by the breach ?  I thought I had everything laid out nicely, but the lock screw is going to end up  only requiring a notch at the rear of the plug .  I always try to not have any contact with the screw anyway i.e. a larger than necessary hole drilled through the plug, so that any recoil /shock won't transfer to the screw. Someone told me that having the screw "captured" is desirable from a safety standpoint  ????
I can't say I agree , but thought I'd ask here.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: rear lock bolt/ breach plug
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 04:17:12 AM »
Bob
I've done many with just the back of the plug notched for the screw.I also make sure there is no contact.

Mitch Yates
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:17:46 AM by aka tallbear »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:38:26 AM »
Putting the rear lock nail where I like in the lock plate, usually puts the rear lock nail through the breech pin recoil lug.   Usually, there is enough play in the hole for recoil.   All originals I have taken apart had the rear lock nail going through the breech pin at some point.   I don't think it matters as long as you have a little play.   

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 06:25:15 AM »
Having the screw captured is a good way to break the stock, if someone tries to remove the barrel without first removing the lock. Yeah, I know, but people do strange things!  ;D

Lots of original rifles have the lug notched for the screw, but I don't remember seeing just a hole drilled, thus capturing the screw.

John
John Robbins

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Having the screw captured is a good way to break the stock, if someone tries to remove the barrel without first removing the lock. Yeah, I know, but people do strange things!  ;D

Lots of original rifles have the lug notched for the screw, but I don't remember seeing just a hole drilled, thus capturing the screw.

John

My instructions specifically state that the rear lock nail must be removed in order to remove the barrel, and customers have to sign that they received the instructions.  That is one consequence that is not my problem.  ;D

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 03:32:12 PM »
 I have been fortunate to have handled a number of original long rifles over the years.  Don't remember ever seeing one with a hole through the breech plug for the lock nail,screw, what have you. A notch is quite common in the plug as well as under the barrel for the front screw. Build em like you want em

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »
The breechplug bolster or lug is uaually not that long on my builds because if it is,  the tang doesn't want to bend as closely to the end of the bbl. So the rear lockbolt clears the bolster w/ a notch......Fred

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 04:15:52 AM »
Probably most of the originals I have seen were just notched, but the lock nail was in the same position as mine.    The difference is that the recall lug on the originals I have seen were not as long as the modern machined breech plugs that come with today's barrels.   Consequently.   I am liable to have a lock nail completely encompassed in the recoil lug, but not always.   Sometimes they just catch the back of the breech plug.   I also usually end up notching the underside of the barrel for the front lock nail.  

My main consideration as to where to place the rear lock nail is the location of the lock bolster.   I drill the hole for the lock nail from inside the bolster inlet just forward of the rear of the bolster and centered as best I can vertically on the bolster.  It then goes through the recoil lug where it goes.   If the recoil lug is just going to be notched, then I have to mark the notch; remove the barrel and file the notch.    Same goes for the notch for the front lock nail.  

I never thought of filing back the recoil lug like Fred.   It would make it easier to bend the tang.   I have just filed the tang where I couldn't bend it.    I will have to think about changing that part of my build.   Hummmmm......
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:19:22 AM by Mark Elliott »