Author Topic: Thoery on "shoot all day witiout wiping"  (Read 6555 times)

Offline Scota4570

Thoery on "shoot all day witiout wiping"
« on: July 02, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »
I used to see how tight a combo I could load.  I mostly had to wipe between shots.  I eluded me as to how one could get many shots without cleaning. 

I have noticed that a smaller ball and thicker patch is much easier to load.  Accuracy seems fine.  Fouling is less of a problem. 

Could the  looser combo with a thick patch  distribute more lube over the the fouling without pushing as much fouling down the barrel?  Could the smaller ball slug up upon firing?  The after ignition tighter fit could then be sweeping, the now moistened fouling out, leaving a cleaner bore?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Thoery on "shoot all day witiout wiping"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:09:56 PM »
Your thicker patch is carrying more crud down with the load.  That is what you want, but you never want "loose".

It has been discussed at length here before.  A snug fit is mandatory-one requiring a ball starter, then a proper hickory rod will drive the ball home.

Yes a thicker patch is part of the equation, use a ball that allows such.  A thinner patch won't do as effective of a job.  What is happening is that nearly all of the residue from last shot is getting pushed down with the charge-every time.  Such that there is no appreciable build-up after a series of shots.  If you can shoot 6 or 8 shots without loading difficulty going up AT ALL, then you can likely load and fire as many as you want without wiping.  

A thin patch is going to "load up" and leave too much gunk behind.  A dry patch may do that too, as well as being more difficult to send to the breech.  Lower humidity may require wetter patching.

Done properly the "loading" patch is wiping down the last shot and there is no need for a "wiping" patch.  This requires a fat patch and a decent amount of lube (wet, not dripping I think DS says)-whether it's saliva or mink or WWWF or LV, pick your poison.

This is what my limited shooting has shown me (didn't take long) and Daryl S and his fellow marksmen, who have tens of thousands of trail-walk competition shots amongst them have taught me.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:14:30 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:52:24 PM »
I agree.  I use a ball .010" under bore size and a patch of .024".  It's tight but still loads with the underbarrel wood rod.  Normally no wiping is needed until I get home.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 01:40:40 AM »
I agree.  I use a ball .010" under bore size and a patch of .024".  It's tight but still loads with the underbarrel wood rod.  Normally no wiping is needed until I get home.

That usually works just fine, Hanshi - however in a Rice round bottomed grooved barrel with .016" deep rifling, a .020" patch with a ball that is .010" "under", can cause gas leakage seen as brown scorch marks on the recovered patch on lighter loads. The scorch marks follow the barrel's grooves as seen on a recovered patch.  With a heavy-type hunting load, the increased pressure can then gas cut the .020" patch and cause flyers and inconsistent ballistics.  The extra .004" can and may help in this regard. In a standard .010" or .012"depth of rifling that is a good combo.

Case in point how different barrels can be. My 14 bore rifle (.012" rifling but not a smooth barrel) does not like a heavy hunting charge with a .0235" patch (railroad-ticking) with a .684" ball (only .006" under bore size) so for the heavy hunting loads, I must use 12 ounce denim which I measure at .025" with closed firmly mic and .030" between  crushed caliper tines (average of 3 dial calipers I have).  What I found MOST interesting is that those heavy hunting loads do not hurt that 12 ounce denim patch when using the grossly undersized ball, ie: a 15 bore ball at .677" in WW or .675" in pure lead, yet the ball is .013" to .015" smaller than the bore size.  The patch maintains it's integrity with either pure lead or WW ally balls.  These undersized balls are easier loading than the larger one. I have not, however tested them at 200yards which should show what ball size and load is superior.

Due to the plethora of different measuring devices and methods thereof, one must do his own measuring.  I find naming the denim by it's weight in ounces, is about the best. All of my rifles except the .69 (14bore) like 10 ounce which I measure at .022". As noted the 14 bore likes 12 ounce. I use 8 ounce in the .45 handgun due to it's easy loading and fair accuracy with the .445" ball. I measure 8 ounce at .0185".

None of my guns EVER needs wiping while I am shooting THAT day.  If left sitting for a while before loading, and if I was in a paper group match, I'd probably wipe it or load with a very wet patch and fire a fouling/cleaning shot.  There is never more than one shot's fouling in the bore- it does NOT build up as the day goes on - impossible as the last shot's fouling gets wiped down, every time it's loaded.

Indeed, with the big gun, after shooting 10 non-lubed paper ctgs. the bore is fouled - then I load a VERY wet patched ball using normal 10 ounce .0225" or the railroad ticking (.0235") patches with 3 drams (82gr. 2f ) and fire that.  Now the bore is freshly cleaned & only has one shot's fouling, thus I can shoot another 10 paper ctgs. without loss in accuracy over round balls with normal paper patches. In that rifle, I have never tried anything but the 6 dram 2F hunting load with paper - I do not know if light, 3 dram loads with paper are as accurate as patched round balls.  ALL of my best long range shooting, from 100 to 300 meters has been done with the heavy loads. No wiping needed as long as the patch is thick enough to do the work of cleaning and sealing the pressures behind. To do that, it needs to be tight.

I should emphatically note here, that the ball and patch must also impress the ball's exterior in the very bottom of the grooves.  Muzzle started and pulled, the ball must show cloth weave over it's entire surface, heavier where the lands are, lighter by the grooves, but still show the cloth's weave impressed into the ball from the bottom of the grooves. THAT is a snug load and one that will not let you down.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:54:34 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline RichG

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
humidity has a lot to do with how often one has to clean/wipe. I know most of you are back east and down south. On the high desert of central Oregon when the temps are up and the humidity is 30%, you wipe every couple of shots. Even shooting light loads with moose milk I usually have to wipe with a damp patch every 5 or 6 shots to keep the fouling from building that ring of crud in the breech. If anyone has a cure for that hard ring that builds up behind the ball I would love to hear it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »
humidity has a lot to do with how often one has to clean/wipe. I know most of you are back east and down south. On the high desert of central Oregon when the temps are up and the humidity is 30%, you wipe every couple of shots. Even shooting light loads with moose milk I usually have to wipe with a damp patch every 5 or 6 shots to keep the fouling from building that ring of crud in the breech. If anyone has a cure for that hard ring that builds up behind the ball I would love to hear it.

At Hefley Creek Rendezvous, with temps often between 90 and 110F and humidity in the single digit range, of 6% to 9%, none of the guys from PG have to wipe over the course of a trail walk.  Trails are usually 20 to 21 shots for score, + however many 'sighters', foulers are made.  We also sometimes shoot at the 200 to 300ayrd plates for fun, on a bet or to see who buys the beer after the shooting for score is all over.

It is so dry there with the fouling is pure WHITE on the frizzen and cock & barrel, that I sometimes set the gun aside until the afternoon shoot - then simply use a WETTER patch for loading the fouling shot, and then shoot another trail with the gun 'dirty' from the morning's shoot. There is never more than one shot's fouling in the bore. There does not seem to be a crunchy RING at the ball seat, either. Never noticed it.
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 11:04:05 PM »
Daryl, most all my molds are .010" under bore diameter but I do have a .445" Lyman mold that drops a slightly smaller ball than the mold's designation, about .443 or a little larger.  When comparing that ball with my usual .440" in a side by side shoot, I found them virtually interchangeable.  Both my .45s are square grooved and therefore rifled .010", or max, of .012" deep.  While I do want to eventually get a dbl cavity .445", it will be a while; the Lyman is a single.  My two round groove barrels are a .32 and a .50.  At this time I'm more interested in getting dbl cavity molds .315" and .495" for these deeper grooved bores.  I've tried thicker patching in all my calibers which was problematic.  I believe a larger ball with the same .024" patch would be a fine combo.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 01:05:00 AM »
My .445 Lee mould does drop two round .445" balls, and the .311" DC Lee drops .311".  I recently bought a .319" Lee mould, that drops two .320" and those are the ones I now shoot in my .32 - but - I cold just as easily use the .311's.
My .45 rifle does prefer the .445" balls for accuracy over the .440's, however it too a day at the bench and about 50 shot to see it. The advantage was there - about 1/4" average tighter for groups at 50 yards.  I find the loading about identical- can't really tell the difference - both loading easily. The almost worn out video of myself and Ross loading and shooting is with the .445" ball and a .0225" (10ounce) denim patch.

My Lyman .395" mould casts .398" and my .570" Lyman mould found it) casts .574".

All with the same X-ray wall lead- super soft.

It seems a $#@* shoot on what moulds will cast - regardless the name on them.  Perhaps the custom moulds are closer.

I find a person needs to order a couple thousandths larger in lathe cut brass Tanner moulds as the 4 or 5 I have cast slightly small, from the .595" to the .740" mould.  I pre-heat these the same as with iron or aluminum blocks - on the top ledge of the furnace while the lead is melting.

.024" is a good patch, no matter how it's measured.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:05:29 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
I used to see how tight a combo I could load.  I mostly had to wipe between shots.  I eluded me as to how one could get many shots without cleaning. 

I have noticed that a smaller ball and thicker patch is much easier to load.  Accuracy seems fine.  Fouling is less of a problem. 

Could the  looser combo with a thick patch  distribute more lube over the the fouling without pushing as much fouling down the barrel?  Could the smaller ball slug up upon firing?  The after ignition tighter fit could then be sweeping, the now moistened fouling out, leaving a cleaner bore?

Shooting all day without wiping is not a Theory- having to wipe is a Theory. Shooting all day without having to wipe is a fact. None of us has to wipe during a Day's shooting.  There are now a bunch of guys here, who have 'listened' and adopted our methods & muzzle crowns (no not coned) and not no longer have to wipe while shooting.

Probably the best proponent of this method now, is Wade.

After all these years, I still wonder at guys who say they have to wipe their bores when out shooting. I really don't understand why that could be. I've shot loads that blew,burn, fried, holes patches that shot horribly, accuracy wise(but 1 small hole groups at 25 yards- blowing all over at 50), that were not thick enough, or lacked structural integrity, yet they still did not make me have to wipe the bore. Picking up shot patches is important to find one that holds it's integrity- good enough to shoot again & again, yet the load must still be adjusted to find the accurate load. Just because the patch doesn't blow, does not mean the load will be accurate past 25 yards. Any load will shoot tight groups at 25 yards- it's 50 yards and beyond that tell if the load is up to snuff.
Daryl

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 01:46:47 AM »
The only time that I wipe between shots is if I'm shooting competition such as table or chunk, and that is only to "attempt" to get the same barrel condition each shot. Casual shooting, even at club matches, does not create a need and a cleaning at the end of the day is adequate.
Mark
Mark