Author Topic: Potential Pennsylvania Rifle?  (Read 3962 times)

CW Smokepole

Potential Pennsylvania Rifle?
« on: June 22, 2015, 04:57:26 PM »
An old friend based over in the wilds of Wisconsin just sent me photos of a rifle he recently found- I can supply photos if of interest, but I don't know how to size them down..
I see a vanilla half-stock Sporter circa 1850- full octagon bbl, walnut stock with cheekpiece on left side, brass b/p & t/g, DST, bar lock- no capbox or inlays. The barrel is stamped "D. HARTKOPF" with a gangstamp, and looking just past the name in the corrosion, I think I'm seeing ".....LADA....." which would immediately bring Philadelphia" to mind, and not the nasty Russian-built Fiat sold as a "Lada" back in the 1980s. Any info available out there?
Thx in advance.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Potential Pennsylvania Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:33:25 PM »
What about Lada makes you think of Phila?  You can email me a photo and I will post it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:35:07 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

CW Smokepole

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 01:08:09 AM »
SM- Thx for the offer- I'll send you a cuople of photos-  as for "Lada".....that's all I can make out after the name on the barrel. I've seen and owned more than a few PA pieces that were marked PhiLADA. Maybe the gang stamp was cheaper than buying "Philadelphia"....

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
Here is C W Smokepole's rifle
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:03:06 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:13:49 PM »
Nice little pistol too! Southern, I'd guess.
John
John Robbins

oakridge

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
The only gunsmith I find by that name is Daniel Hardkoff (Hartkopf) working in Mercer Co., Ohio in 1850 and in Madison Co., Missouri in 1870.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 02:47:20 AM »
You may find that maker in Missouri Gunsmiths to 1900, Victor A. Paul, Obscure Place Publishing PO Box 2026, Washington, MO 63090-0828

My copy is in the basement.

Victor Paul came out with a paperback addition in 1990, dunno availability unless you meet him personally.

Nice architecture