Author Topic: J. ROOF- middle 19th century gunsmith  (Read 4311 times)

Fitzhugh

J. ROOF- middle 19th century gunsmith
« on: June 24, 2015, 01:55:53 AM »
I am conducting preliminary research into the family of John/Jehu Roof of central Kentucky and his activity as a gunsmith ca. 1850-60.  Any information would be appreciated, as well as the location of existing guns to study and document. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: J. ROOF- middle 19th century gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:04:12 AM »
Have you checked Shelby Gallien's books http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=27273.0
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

timM

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »
I also need to purchase Mr. Gallen's book, I've no doubt of it being a valuable work and likely holds the answer to your questions.  Possibly at this point you are well sorted on Roof family of gunsmiths?

Fitzhugh, on seeing your posting, Jacob Roop came to mind.  He was a Pennsylvania gunsmith that ended up in Indiana, so maybe not an impossible stretch a Roop gunsmith a bit further south in Kentucky by the middle 19th century? I am pretty sure one of his sons was named John.

I realize the name mismatch with my suggestion and I will let you extrapolate on the possibilities if indeed there is some thin chance of a connection. fwiw, tim

Fitzhugh

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 05:37:47 PM »
Thanks for that reference to Jacob Roop.  There is, however, no association between the two.  The "ROOF" I seek originates in LaRue County, Kentucky, and would have been active ca. 1850-60, though this may turn out to be a multi-generational family of gunsmiths with earlier dates of manufacture for prior generations.   The Roofs lived and worked in Hodgenville, Kentucky, but earlier on were located in "Roof Hollow" on the north end of the county.  Apparently someone who scrutinizes the posts here carefully noted my query and had at least some knowledge of the family, as recently an unmarked gun with no collection history or provenance was being brokered with an "attribution" to Roof based upon some fictitious litany of structural and design elements.  I was amused, then angered, that folks would "steal" a name and then claim expertise in a "school" of gunsmiths for which there is no scholarship or even personal understanding.  Readers, beware.  Those seeking guns by obscure makers may have their wishes fulfilled by savvy "experts" cunning enough to assure they find exactly what you want!  It's a shame we stoop to these levels for monetary gain.  It's a hindrance to true scholarship, too.  Now I've gotten off track, but if there is a way to share this warning on other boards, I'd like to do so.  This is a misuse of the function of these boards.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:28:06 PM »
recently an unmarked gun with no collection history or provenance was being brokered with an "attribution" to Roof based upon some fictitious litany of structural and design elements. 

Would you kindly point out where this fictitiously attributed gun could be seen (website, whatever)?

Just to put some context to your posts here.

Thanks, John
John Robbins

Fitzhugh

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
I'm not posting names or sites, just offering a warning that unscrupulous individuals are good at surfing the interest for forums like this to glean bits of information they can then use to fabricate a story.  Buyer always beware, but fraud is very intelligent today.