Author Topic: Cowboy Bowie  (Read 6059 times)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Cowboy Bowie
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:02:56 PM »

Fresh off the bench. A medium sized basic Bowie knife with a 7" x 1 1/4" x 3/16" blade of 01 tool steel, a through tang peened over a 3/16" thick nickel silver butt cap, 1/8" thick nickel silver guard, and a very nice Sambar elk antler grip. This piece of Sambar elk had barely a hint of pith, if any real pith at all. Very solid and white to the core. I was extremely pleased to find such a nice piece. Hope you enjoy a look.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Cowboy Bowie
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 11:47:02 PM »
Great work Wick -- reminds me of one of Randall's knives execpt for the flat grind. I always wanted to buy a Randall since the late 60's but did not have the money - I stopped in his shop in the mid 70's looking to buy and well -- still could not buy - this time was the waiting time of 3 years. When I'm at Solvang CA area for business I always stop in at Nordic Knives and drool. I do buy a knife there - always a nice pocket one (not a custom one they are still out of my comfort zone). Maybe I'll spring for a Randall this Christmas ::).
Here is a picture of a Bowie I made back in the late 70's - 3/16" thick - 2" wide - 17"long -- gave it to my brother for Christmas that year.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
Very, very nice. Hollow grind?

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »
Yes it is -- & thanks for the kind words ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »
That is a perfect piece of antler. Nice knife!

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:06:54 AM »
Looks like Quigly should have this hanging from his belt. Great knife. Kind of envy the antler, could use that for turned tips on my horns. :D

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »
Very nice work. great looking bowie.

patiodadio

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 05:27:27 AM »
Beautiful work ! A classic like that never goes out of style !

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
Sweet looking knife LRB!!!!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing