Author Topic: Milling octagon flats?  (Read 8621 times)

Offline Scota4570

Milling octagon flats?
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »
I trashed a scrap barrel trying to do this without a dividing head.  I have a medium sided vertical milling machine.  I thought I could get by with a machinist square and some V-blocks.  It was to be a 20 ga pistol barrel.  I would not try to do a rifle barrel this way.   

Plan B.  When I get the itch to try again.  Cut the breech plug threads in the round barrel.  Cut matching threads in a piece of old octagon barrel stock.  Use all thread to join the two piece.  Use the octagon barrel stub as my guide to cut the round one.  I would shim to the mill table for taper in the new octagon barrel.  I want to go 1/2 octagon and about 12" long so the octagon flats will be relatively short. 

Comments? 

Offline FDR

Re: Milling octagon flats?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »
You can also use a "hex nut" locked onto a shaft screwed into the breach plug hole.  Level each flat with a "good" precision level or do what I did a buy an indexing head. A "good enough" Chinese one is less than $100.  Check ENCO.

Online okieboy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
 How would you mill an octagon barrel using a hexagon nut?
Okieboy

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »
How would you mill an octagon barrel using a hexagon nut?

AH -- it is one of those machinist "Black Magic Tricks" that was taught at Hogwarts school of machinery - don't ya know :D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 12:07:10 AM »
Well actually the idea might have some merit.  Not for hexagon but for dodecagon (12 sided).  A half dodecagon half round with a couple of bands in the middle might be an interesting conversation piece.  One would have to reset the bolt/guide once to get he rest of the flats. 

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 12:29:04 AM »
It would probably be quicker & simpler to use a coarse file.

Jim

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 01:01:53 AM »
There was a fellow in Cuba that made a barrel from hex bar stock. The article was in Muzzle Blast many years ago. Think the  article was named (Is Possible In Cuba). Might look kind of cute to have the points and wood meet in the middle. I scribe eight lines breech to muzzle around the round barrel, then file. Straight, tapered or swamped.

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 02:06:18 AM »
Well actually the idea might have some merit.  Not for hexagon but for dodecagon (12 sided).  A half dodecagon half round with a couple of bands in the middle might be an interesting conversation piece.  One would have to reset the bolt/guide once to get he rest of the flats. 

My underslammer bench gun is 12 to round.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 02:32:33 AM »
 I use an Enco indexing head and a adjustable tail stock.  I recommend it highly. If you do three or four you can recoup the cost by selling the others.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Online Daryl

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 04:25:13 AM »

My underslammer bench gun is 12 to round.

12 to the pound would be more fun!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 04:57:04 AM »
Round barrel?? Mill it square,use a V block in the mills vise and whack off the round corners.
Doesn't get much simpler.

Bob Roller

Offline FDR

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 05:05:35 AM »
You can also use a "hex nut" locked onto a shaft screwed into the breach plug hole.  Level each flat with a "good" precision level or do what I did a buy an indexing head. A "good enough" Chinese one is less than $100.  Check ENCO.
Should have said "octagon" nut. Have to make it!  Wish I could get my fingers to type exactly what my brain is thinking! It's and age thing!

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 09:40:55 AM »
This shows how I did it.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=26376.0

Best regards
Rolf

kaintuck

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »
Round barrel?? Mill it square,use a V block in the mills vise and whack off the round corners.

Bob Roller

Bob, this is 2015, things are more difficult, I pads, computers, automatic transmissions, GPS talking direction finders for hunters...ahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa..........
Amazing how the wright brothers made airplanes........ :o
Tomtom said this.......

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »

Bob Roller

Kaintuck,
I wouldn't know what to do with an iPad but do like vintage aircraft of all kinds and am
a firm advocate of the KISS principle (KeepItSimpleStupid) and the barrel reshaping method is
a prime example.
Everyone knows of my life long affair with the Duesenberg Model "J" and I have wondered from
time to time if Fred and August Duesenberg had gone beyond the 8th grade if they could have
made a better car. The "J" was all Fred with a blank check from E.L.Cord. My respects and regards to
Tomtom.

Bob Roller

Bob, this is 2015, things are more difficult, I pads, computers, automatic transmissions, GPS talking direction finders for hunters...ahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa..........
Amazing how the wright brothers made airplanes........ :o
Tomtom said this.......

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »
It would probably be quicker & simpler to use a coarse file.

Jim

OR -- just buy one ;D -- your time & effort vs money ;) For me I'd spend the money. When I was full of "Pi%% and Vinegar" I did the swamped barrel routine with a file then a milling machine. I come to realize that the barrel maker makes a very nice swamped barrel for a very reasonable price and I don't have to stress my heart out.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 07:40:04 PM »
Nice job Rolf,

Your method is probably more authentic that what I had in mind. 

For lathe owners, if you off set the tailstock and turn between centers you can make a smooth taper.  The stepping down method will never come out smooth and true.  Also the wedding band can be done with a form tool.  The square plug idea is basically what I had in mind with the octagon plug.  IF you use a V-block you could use the square plug to get octagon.  Nice input guys. 

I'll probably try again.  Shotgun barrels are very cheap. 

Someone mentioned a 12-bore.  I had one once.  The velocity was very low.  Balls bounced off wood targets.  If the powder charge was enough to get penetration then recoil got uncomfortable.

I like the idea of a 20 ga guage.  I have an Ithica m-37 featherweight barrel but, it looks too lightweight to be useable.  How thin can we go and be safe?