Author Topic: wood patch box  (Read 4142 times)

Offline bob in the woods

wood patch box
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:28:28 AM »
I'm working on a sliding wood patch box installation on a rifle which doesn't have a butt plate.  Any tips, or pointers re things to watch out for ?   Do I need to  install a brass or iron wear plate for the spring catch ? 

Offline P.Bigham

Re: wood patch box
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 02:15:34 PM »
 Its actually easier  without the butt plate since you don't  need a cap on the end of the patch box and yes you will need to inlet a metal piece for the spring to catch on. It can be a simple rectangle or something more creative.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »
There are a couple of good tutorials around.  I think Mike Brooks has something on this.  You can also find a nice discussion on Al Neubauer's Hoot Al website.  Just google Hoot Al and you'll find it.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 11:08:10 PM »
I've seen an old "barn gun" with a wood patchbox (missing lid) with no buttplate, and there was a piece of metal simply inlet into the stock about a half inch or so ahead of the end for the spring to catch on.  Nothing to it.

And yeah, the metal endcaps for patchbox lids are a big pain. I hate them.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Frank

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
I have seen several of Allen Martin's guns with a brass buttplate, wooden patch box and no metal end cap. Very nice.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:31:33 AM »
There are more than a few old longrifles with endcapless wood patchbox lids.  If I can get away with not putting an endcap on, I will!   :D

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 04:02:34 PM »
I wasn't planning on a cap for the lid, but my main point was that there is no butt plate.   In looking at some originals [ photos ] some had a metal stop/ catch  for the spring , and some appear to just have the wood.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 04:31:11 PM »
Sorry, got sidetracked.

Just make a little strip of steel and inlet it edgewise (it ain't comin' back out) into the stock, and make your spring catch on that instead of a buttplate.  For that, I don't have  a photo.  I do believe that the "Edward Marshall" rifle has  a piece of metal like this, and the spring catch has two notches, so it catches both on the buttplate and the metal piece.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:32:16 PM by Stophel »