Author Topic: hawken patterns  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
hawken patterns
« on: July 04, 2015, 07:18:07 PM »
Curious about all the precarves suppliers  out there  I spoke with Don and he copied his of an original hawken but what about the others.During my time doing research and while I'm doing my build I have noticed some pretty big differences in other folks plans be it tracks ,hawken shop ect. My precarves came from Dick at pecatonica .When I put my stock against the scale drawings  of tracks for example you line up the stocks the barrels /forends are way off No two are the same,just seems odd to  me.I have no complaints about my stock ,shoulders perfect and already know its going to feel good shooting  .Tracks barrel running downhill in the drawing doesn't seem to be as  natural a point but without holding it I couldn't be sure.I was told there patterns are the same,not possible in my opinion. Any opinions? For all I know mines not right but comes to a natural point like one of my old 870's quess that's all that matters.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: hawken patterns
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 07:28:02 PM »
ALL of the old ones were hand made and not one of them ever was the same as another. That is fine for armory production but in a custom shop it's not going to happen. Similarities are there to be sure but uniform construction,not so much.About the best anyone will do is a good representation and even bench copies will have small variances.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:15:00 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 11:37:21 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience using precarves of Hawken rifles from too many companies.  But I have seen several from TOW and they make up into a fairly respectable Hawken.  Of course,if you're serious about authenticity, go to Don Stith...arguably the superlative Hawken precarve source.
I have a feeling that many of the precarved stocks available from a variety of sources, may be interpretations, built around the parts that are available readily and easily commercially.  That's all fine, but these often miss the nuances that make a Hawken rifle, and not a half stocked percussion rifle, which is all you can call a T/C, CVA, Traditions, or the like.  Replicating a Hawken, even with its inherent diversity, requires careful and dedicated study, as with any other firearm from antiquity.  It is unlikely that a new builder with all the enthusiasm in the world, if going to nail it with his first build, and perhaps, not even his twentieth.  I know for myself, that there are many areas where work still needs to be done to get it right.  But I am willing to try and try again.  It's an interesting and fulfilling journey.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 12:02:49 AM »
"It's an interesting and fulfilling journey" Indeed,couldn't say it better.Doing this build has brought about an  at peace along with an education. Also a respect for what goes into a build.after seeing some of the works of art here I'm amazed at the detail.Museum pieces I could never take into the woods,I'm petty hard on my shootin irons when I'm in the woods.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 03:17:53 AM »
Another good set of plans, although long out of circulation, are of a Sam Hawken rifle from either the Nebraska state historical society or a museum in Nebraska by Wayne Robidoux.  I have built several Hawken half stocks using his drawing. 
David