Author Topic: Pletcher in new Muzzle Blasts  (Read 4177 times)

Offline t.caster

Pletcher in new Muzzle Blasts
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »
Got my March Muzzle Blasts yesterday and Larry's ignition timing tests are featured! I didn't have time to read it, but it looked like some of the tests he shared with us last year.
Good job Larry, we are all in debt to you for your fine work!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:31:10 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Mike R

Re: Pletcher in new Muzzle Blasts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:40:28 PM »
yep, I read it--good work, Larry.  and we got to see it first!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:57:14 AM »
Kind of nice catching the inside track on this stuff, then getting to see it featured in Muzzle Blast.  Thanks Larry! :)

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »
We are MOST fortunate to have Larry as a member here.

C. Cash

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:17:22 AM »
I'm usually too impatient to get through technical articles...but this one I thoroughly enjoyed(and understood, which is an accomplishment ;D).  Great stuff!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 07:18:36 AM by C. Cash »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »
Glad I don't have to worry anymore about blocking the touchhole and "fuse" effects.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 05:37:31 AM »
Glad I don't have to worry anymore about blocking the touchhole and "fuse" effects.
Hi Rich,
That was probably the finding that surprised me the most.  In all 15 trials with the vent in the low position, the prime covered the vent.  I did not try to get any in the vent, although it could have happened.  The low vent average was .038, while the level vent averaged .036 and the high vent .037.  These small differences are most likely statistically insignificant, expecially when compared with the banked away times.

At this point, I think the fuse effect in mental.  Further, a hang-fire that is noticable is very like to be fouling related or flint related.  You know the old golfer's line, "the more I practice, the luckier I get?"  I think the flint shooter's comparible line might be, "The better I know my lock the less hang-fires I get."

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.