General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

Antique Banded Horn

<< < (2/4) > >>

Majorjoel:
I agree with all said! The pouring spout is extraordinary! I keep studying the fine details and see something new of interest every time I look at it. I have noticed that there is scrimshaw engraving under the bands??  Or perhaps cut around the bands?  Does anyone think the bands may have been added at a later time than the original horn work.  My reasoning here comes from an old powder horn that I own. It has brass bands on a York style piece. I showed it off here many moons ago.

Down South:
Somebody really loved that horn.  Most beautiful Southern horn i have seen in years.  And, i look at a lot of them.  First fully scrimshawed Southern banded horn I hace ever seen.  Only one polychromed I have EVER seen.  The bands are turned and heat applied.  Master Masons' horn.  Simply outstanding!  Bravo to the owner.  Thanks for allowing the post.

James Rogers:
Neat horn. Any providence?

JTR:
I agree, this is one fine horn! I wish I had some answers to the questions, but maybe the owner will see them and I can post them.

John

skillman:
It would be really nice to be able to magnify the images or hold the horn in person to really get the whole feel of this horn. I believe the bands are separate, not carved on. The layers of color on the bands don't match the colors on the horn and I believe it would be hard to get them as even as they are without turning them. The spout is a different story. Beautifully done.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version