Author Topic: Antique Banded Horn  (Read 8469 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
Antique Banded Horn
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
Here's some pictures of a horn a friend asked me to post.

He says "This horn only recently came into the collecting world. . It has a 3 inch diameter butt plug and an outside curve length of 18 inches.. The wood powder measure came with the horn."

About the only other thing I can say is Wow! What a great looking horn!

John

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 05:49:47 PM by rich pierce »
John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Antique Banded Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:55:02 PM »
Super NICE powderhorn your friend has John!  I really like all of it's details and the scrim puts it over the top!  Any ideas as to where it was made? The turned plug cries out York County to me.
Joel Hall

Offline trentOH

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 02:41:10 AM »
I REALLY like that eyeball, it just pops out at you. And the 1823 date on it helps to prove it's age. Who would pick 1823 as a date on a faked horn?

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 06:41:59 PM »
Thanks so much for posting these pictures of this fine horn. Well worth studying by anyone interested in the art of horn making. The throat is so well done on this horn and the bands just add to the fine detail. This is a beautiful piece and Thank your friend for sharing with us.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 10:26:10 PM »
WOW!!  That horn is the top of the line! I don't believe I've ever seen a better banded horn.

JIM

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »
I agree with all said! The pouring spout is extraordinary! I keep studying the fine details and see something new of interest every time I look at it. I have noticed that there is scrimshaw engraving under the bands??  Or perhaps cut around the bands?  Does anyone think the bands may have been added at a later time than the original horn work.  My reasoning here comes from an old powder horn that I own. It has brass bands on a York style piece. I showed it off here many moons ago.
Joel Hall

Offline Down South

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:28:03 AM »
Somebody really loved that horn.  Most beautiful Southern horn i have seen in years.  And, i look at a lot of them.  First fully scrimshawed Southern banded horn I hace ever seen.  Only one polychromed I have EVER seen.  The bands are turned and heat applied.  Master Masons' horn.  Simply outstanding!  Bravo to the owner.  Thanks for allowing the post.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:29:24 AM »
Neat horn. Any providence?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 04:32:55 AM »
I agree, this is one fine horn! I wish I had some answers to the questions, but maybe the owner will see them and I can post them.

John
John Robbins

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 05:03:21 AM »
It would be really nice to be able to magnify the images or hold the horn in person to really get the whole feel of this horn. I believe the bands are separate, not carved on. The layers of color on the bands don't match the colors on the horn and I believe it would be hard to get them as even as they are without turning them. The spout is a different story. Beautifully done.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 05:33:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing that great horn
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
Here's a couple comments from the owner;

The bands are applied.  As to the providence.  The previous owner was not a collector. So I assume it  came down in the family.  He died and being the last surviving member of the family the horn was sold with the estate.   

John
John Robbins

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 08:31:01 PM »
Very interesting horn. If anyone is researching the possible provienence of this horn, they might start looking in an around Calhoun South Carolina. I own an old large cent coin, that has been restruck on the obverse side with some Masonic symbols much like those on this horn. The lodge name is the Living Arch Chapter. Good Luck.

Hungry Horse

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 09:00:34 PM »
Very nice horn. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 11:45:42 PM »
really super nice horn. The owner is a lucky man
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

postman23

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 10:02:54 PM »
Wow, what a beautiful horn.