Author Topic: Anti-seize compound for White Lightning?  (Read 5497 times)

Offline satwel

Anti-seize compound for White Lightning?
« on: July 12, 2015, 01:34:30 AM »
I'm about to install my first White Lightning vent liner. Should I use anti-seize compound on the threads? I searched the archive and couldn't find a mention either pro or con.

Thank you.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Anti-seize compound for White Lightning?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 01:37:02 AM »
I never have and I don't think I have heard of anyone else doing it. The vent liner is stainless and its threaded into barrel steel so I would not think it necessary.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 01:43:39 AM »
No need - it is not required as liner is not removed until time to replace.   They will last for years (forever for some people), then they come out nicely and get replace the same way - nicely. I've never seen a 'stuck' liner when Taylor installed them - no trouble when replacing them.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:39:54 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 02:43:49 AM »
Agree with both previous comments.  I've used White Lightning vent liners for years and have had to replace some, also other brands, and have had no problem removing them with an easy-out.  I also never used anti-seize compound on a vent liner.

I used Swiss powder exclusively for years and due to the hotter gases produced by Swiss powder, a vent liner will not last as long.  If you shoot a lot, that makes a difference.  I didn't realize what the problem was until Mad Monk talked about the hotter burning Swiss powder.  I haven't had to change a vent liner since I stopped using Swiss powder. 

At any rate, you don't need to use anti-seize compound on a vent liner.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
I am not as experienced as most of you guys but I put antiseize on my l white lightning liners. I don't shoot enough to ever wear one out. I put the stuff on because it prevents any possibility of rust or corrosion in the threads.

I use the stuff on the lift arm turn buckles on my tractor as well as implement and anything that sits out in the weather. Pretty amazing stuff to prevent rusting on stuff left out in the weather for years.  

I put antiseize on all my breech plugs as well, lots of it. I don't think water could get around my breech plugs if I have a less than perfect plug to face fit.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:05:10 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »
I put anti seize on both my breech plugs and my white lightning liners.I've got a can of copper colored stuff a friend gave me many years ago.I've pulled plugs and replaced wornout liners after many years of use and never had any issues.I can't answer whether its absolutely necessary but I do it as a standard procedure when assembling the gun for the last time.Only takes a second and does no harm to my knowledge.

Mitch Yates

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
I cant argue if its needed or not but I have put it on the threads of every vent liner I have ever installed. It surely cant hurt it
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
I certainly agree that it can't hurt anything, I know people who even put it on the threads of a nipple each time they clean their percussion guns.  If people want to do that there's no harm in it.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 06:57:33 PM »
I've only had issue when trying to brown a barrel with anti-seize weeping out of the threads of the breechplug. I now just use a heavy grease.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Turtle

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 02:31:33 PM »
 I use blue locktite/thread sealant on liners and breech plugs. I believe the sealing action keeps corrosion out of the threads. I have pulled breech plugs I put in 15 years ago with no problems.
                                                                     Turtle

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »
WL liners have a very fine thread so I have always been apprehensive about over tightening and stripping out the threads in the relatively soft barrel steel. OTOH if the least bit of corrosion could ever get a start in the fine threads it could affect integrity of the seal much more than a deeper thread, so I have always installed them with a touch of the same molybdenum disulfide lubricant that I use on breech plugs. Make absolutely certain that you clean off any excess thoroughly because it will keep any area that it touches from ever taking any type of browning or blue.

Turtle

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »
 Using blue locktite is probably not necessary for the near timeframe on breechplugs, but several originals I have debreeched have the threads severly corroded . Call it overkill,but no harm. I have rethreaded several nipple holes oversize that had corroded threads on modern guns.
                                                  Turtle

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 07:54:15 PM »
I always put white lithium grease on liners, drums, and breech pins(plugs) before installing.   It rust proofs and makes it easier to pull it up tight.   I have never had a problem getting any breech pin, liner, or drum back out.   I have never had a problem with finishing due to this treatment.