Author Topic: Hawken stock finish question  (Read 2913 times)

Offline haddockkl

Hawken stock finish question
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:58:21 PM »
So original Hawken rifles exhibit wear, such that it appears they were varnished. I assume the blackened finish seen on them and other varnished rifles of the period is probably just oxidation, so what would be the opinion of the experts on original coloring? I have my own rendition of an early ish rifle, and the time to start thinking about wood finish is almost upon me. Any insights and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Hawken stock finish question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 12:52:40 AM »
while I'm new to builds I'm building a hawken myself as a first build.Appears most were varnished,I intend on doing mine with aqua fortis. I have a nice piece of curly maple and want to see it for what it is.I think if the brothers or Sam got ahold of a better piece of wood they would have showed it off.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 01:37:40 AM »
 From the originals I have examined, the Hawkens brothers, while being fine gunsmiths, weren't the best of woodworkers. Their finishes were not the most durable, and often demonstrate their lack of knowledge when it comes to staining maple. several examples exist that show some sort of tinted varnish slathered onto a maple stock, with the expected results, of it wearing off on every high spot on the stock.

Hungry Horse

ddoyle

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:33:57 AM »
varnish "slathered" on/in a stock is exactly what I would want if I planned on using a rifle for a year a field versus a field a year  ;)

A well applied varnish is god's gift to a working rifle.