Author Topic: countersink bits  (Read 6565 times)

dlbarr

countersink bits
« on: July 20, 2015, 06:06:48 AM »
Call me slow & uneducated but where do I find bits to cut countersinks in a steel buttplate? The only ones I find at such places as Lowe's/Home Depot etc etc are for wood...

Thanks.

Offline Sidelock

• J.R. Dixon
Re: countersink bits
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:18:55 AM »
Two good location on the web for metal working tools  - Enco and McMaster Carr
If you cannot see the irony in having a gun ban enforced by men with guns, then you fail to understand why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place....

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:29:25 AM »
I order all that stuff from MSC.    It's pretty much the same as ENCO and McMaster Carr.   MSC does cater to small businesses.   I live ouside Richmond,VA and MSC headquarters and main warehouse is in Harrisburg,PA.   I get just about everything in stock the next day UPS ground.   I get drill bits, countersinks, counter-bores, taps, dies, etc.... from MSC.  I just order the piece when I need it and it is on my doorstep the next afternoon.    Easy peasy.   

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
Odd as it might seem, the ones I have that have several cutting edges that are supposedly made for metal don't cut metal as well as the one I have with one cutting edge that's made for wood. ???
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »
Be careful what you buy. Countersinks with multiple cutters tend to chatter in metal.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »
I suggest you consider fluteless counter sinks. They are a pleasure to use and chatter is nonexistent.  Be sure and avoid the Chinese brands as they are not ground correctly - points are often not centered.
J.B.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 06:45:06 PM »
These can be gotten through McMaster Carr or MSC and the like:

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 06:49:05 PM »
Call me slow & uneducated but where do I find bits to cut countersinks in a steel buttplate? The only ones I find at such places as Lowe's/Home Depot etc etc are for wood...

Thanks.
I buy most of my stuff here <http://www.toolsavings.com>  Their prices and selection is very good - you can buy import or USA your choise I've purchased both and not had a problem with either. I just purchased 4 of each number drills in cobalt from size #60 to #43 and some reamers the order was processed & shipped within a few days. I feel they are better than ENCO or MSC for selection or price ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

dlbarr

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »
Odd as it might seem, the ones I have that have several cutting edges that are supposedly made for metal don't cut metal as well as the one I have with one cutting edge that's made for wood. ???

I can attest to the fact that the "wood" countersinks don't work on metal....at least not here in my shop.  ;D

docone

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »
I like TOW,
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1028/1
They have always been good.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 10:45:22 PM »
I make half reamers of the profile I want.  

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 12:31:48 AM »

I can attest to the fact that the "wood" countersinks don't work on metal....at least not here in my shop.  ;D

My opinion also. Wood tools for wood,metal tools for metal,carbide if the metal is hard or stubborn.

Bob Roller

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 05:09:44 AM »
Just remember, the angle is different for metal use vs. wood use.

dlbarr

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »
Just remember, the angle is different for metal use vs. wood use.

Yes, I was thinking of that also. This is my first build, I am inordinately slow and find I know very little of what should be common knowledge. That said, what is the angle of those big buttplate screws?

eddillon

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
I have a cheap Craftsman countersink.  A layer of paper towel between workpiece and countersink eliminates chatter.

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »
Slow speed....and handhold the workpiece if your drill press has a lot of slop. This will give you nice smooth countersinks.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)