Author Topic: new pouch  (Read 7717 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

new pouch
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:37:36 AM »
Well, I had this skunk hide, and this nice strap and they looked like they ought to go together. I don't know, what do you think?

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

RoaringBull

Re: new pouch
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:44:38 AM »
I think they look pretty good together.

ddoyle

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:37:28 AM »
David, beautiful work, the strap compliments it perfectly.

Only constructive thing I could add is that I would not wear it in the bush. Cannot think of a way to better look like an ungulate then by wearing that white rump patch!

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:40:29 AM »
It will probably get most of it's use on woods walk target shoots with my .40 rifle. I am trying to get a bag matched up for each rifle so I can grab and go. I most likely won't use it hunting.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 05:43:44 AM »
She's a pretty little stinker.  I like it.  How about a hat to match.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 05:38:58 PM »
It's different, I like it!

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:05:48 PM »
That is a beauty of a pouch!!

Best regards
Rolf

Offline J Henry

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »
  I like the hair on look.I bought 3,,  1/2 cow hides and 20 smaller fur on tanned pelts awhile back and asked about hair on pouches.I like it, though I would be careful about carrying them it the woods,,not all "hunter" positively identify the target,,Sure would hate to get a hole shot in my "pouch"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:07:08 PM by Ky-Flinter »

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 09:28:25 PM »
I get very little of the luxury of time for hunting anymore and if I do it is with a flintlock on my cousins farm late in the season after all his nephews and friends have gotten what trophies they want. Unless someone is trespassing I won't see another hunter. The last six years I have hunted one day each season for deer and killed one deer each time except last year. My freezer has had no venison for a while.
 I never understood anyone mistaking a man for a game animal. I have never seen a man that resembled a deer or vice versa.
I do believe some jealous husbands around here have gotten revenge in this manner before.
I have never taken a shot I wasn't reasonably sure of making a clean kill on so I can't comprehend the mistaken identity "accidents".
A friend of mine related a story about the first time he went hunting with his brother in law who was a physician. The brother in law fired several rounds into the brush and when questioned what he shot at he replied, not sure I just heard a noise. My friend unloaded the brother in laws rifle and took him home.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:55:21 PM »
I get very little of the luxury of time for hunting anymore and if I do it is with a flintlock on my cousins farm late in the season after all his nephews and friends have gotten what trophies they want. Unless someone is trespassing I won't see another hunter. The last six years I have hunted one day each season for deer and killed one deer each time except last year. My freezer has had no venison for a while.
 I never understood anyone mistaking a man for a game animal. I have never seen a man that resembled a deer or vice versa.
I do believe some jealous husbands around here have gotten revenge in this manner before.
I have never taken a shot I wasn't reasonably sure of making a clean kill on so I can't comprehend the mistaken identity "accidents".
A friend of mine related a story about the first time he went hunting with his brother in law who was a physician. The brother in law fired several rounds into the brush and when questioned what he shot at he replied, not sure I just heard a noise. My friend unloaded the brother in laws rifle and took him home.

The old reliable "sound shot". There was a man in this area that hunted with a 10 Gauge double barrel shotgun and he used this method and was locked up after he hurt another man with that old cannon.

Bob Roller

ddoyle

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 10:48:22 PM »
David considering the right arm you must have from swinging your Blacksmith's hammer I pity the shooter who merely wounds you LOL.

Seriously though walking away from someone that pouch will look 100% like a deer bum. no question about it.

Do not underestimate the tricks that eyes can play.

One day I was watching a doe on a field edge. After an hour a 'buck' stepped out in the wide open and stood  50 yards from her. being certain it was a deer I almost raised my rife.    Prudence ruled and I looked thru the binos first. There in the wide open in decent dusk/legal shooting light was a man in camo with a rifle sung on his back and some kind of bugle call around his neck and the triangle of a t-shirt neck showing. (he was 2 miles into a trespass). Try as I might I could not make him into a man with the naked eye. Scared the $#*! out of me. 

Alot of accidents occur because the shooter responded to movement, a white flash to a  deer hunter generally equals deer. Once the adrenaline is up even a careful person could make the mistake of two lifetimes and do something regretted by many people for a long time. 

Your still hunting along, pushing some deer ahead of you, hunter on a stand gets a good look at them, they wind him and turn back past you. you hear them, now behind you and turn slowly to face that direction. Hunter on stand now sees a deer bum right where he saw a real deer a few minutes before.............

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »
I know it isn't Historically Correct but wear a hunter orange vest and especially orange on the hat.  Historically the hunter wasn't as likely to encounter other hunters as we are today.