Author Topic: ken moors inspired Christian Spring riffle  (Read 3546 times)

kaintuck

ken moors inspired Christian Spring riffle
« on: July 25, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »
 ;D
54cal col 'C' weight bbl, Dunlops woods SILVER maple stock, chambers brass lock, Tim Adlam engraving, Dave Keck/Barbie/Tip Curtis brass~sights & nose cap by tomtom, carving by tomtom also ::)
tomtom aged the bbl and wood some.....sure hated boogering them screw heads to look old!!!!

the flow was nice around the tang area, and the wood flair follows the barrel swamp, shoulders well with a 13-1/2" LOP, Barbie and Jim~ that brass lock was worth the wait!!!...makes this CS rifle different!!!!

Offline Bill Ladd

Re: ken moors inspired Christian Spring riffle
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
Tomtom does go work!  Can I send my NC rifle to him for aging?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »
 I was told that silver maple wasn't strong enough to use as stock wood.

Hungry Horse

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »

Hungry Horse

Thought so too, but Wayne said this one was HARD, Dave keck did the barrel/rod shaping of the stock....and said she was good am hard.....so it went into production......she's hard.....just fine, and with some flame to boot!
Marc n tomtom

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 11:33:05 PM »
Well alright!  Love that lock and Tim's engraving looks real nice, as always.  I didn't realize that this was a silver maple stock. It looks to have some nice figure in the buttstock. 

Has Tom-Tom done that growly thing he does at the carving on the buttstock yet?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:08:41 AM »

Hungry Horse
I once bought a board of it off ebay. Didn't know until I got it that it was Silver Maple until I started to work with it. Beautiful stripes and even though it was soft it wasn't any worse that some of the red maple I have used. I built a mountain rifle out of it. The man that bought it about 10 or 12 years ago still owns it and as far as I know has never had a problem with it. It had wider stripes that red or sugar maple but very uniform throughout the board.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
I made a real pretty staff once out of Silver Maple with a poured pewter cap.   Unfortunately,  it didn't survive me slipping on a creek bank and falling on it.  I don't know if Red or Sugar Maple would have survived any better; probably not.  ::)   I have  piece of wood to make another one sometime.