Author Topic: Any info on John Rupp side-opening patchbox rifle?  (Read 1875 times)

Hemo

Any info on John Rupp side-opening patchbox rifle?
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:31:43 AM »
Hello, all,

I am about to build my interpretation of the (attributed) John Rupp  Lehigh Valley rifle (with some personal artistic license), pictured in the 2010 KRA President's Display DVD. Tbis gun has an octagon-to-round barrel suggesting a smoothbore, but also has a rifle-type grip rail on the trigger guard, a cheekpiece, typical rifle sights, and a patchbox on the right side of the butt which looks more like a typical Bucks County patchbox than a Lehigh. 

Unfortunately, the KRA DVD has no information on dimensions, caliber, or whether the bore on this gun was smooth or rifled. I have seen it referred to online elsewhere, but again no information on caliber or whether it is rifled or smooth.

I intend to build it with a .50 caliber octagon-to-round rifled barrel regardless of how the original was built, but still, inquiring minds want to know! 

(Maybe this should be posted in the antique collectors forum, but I thought I'd try here first.)

Gregg