Author Topic: New small pouch  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
New small pouch
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:43:29 PM »
Here is another new small bag I recently made.   
I didn't have a buckle that matched the pewter button, so I used a couple buttons in place of a buckle.

The leather is about 2 oz. from the Tandy scrap bin.  The Tandy folks in Richmond are great folks and very supportive of my Scouts.  The welt is out of the same leather as the bag.  The strap is 3-4 oz. leather.

There is a divider that separates the bag into two compartments. 

The button is secured like an original that Wallace Gusler brought to the Southern Longrifle Show last year. 

The pewter button is sewn through the front flap, then through a leather reinforcement, then backed with an antler button.  A leather disk covers the backing an leaves a smooth interior surface.  I thought it was an interesting detail.
Larry Luck

Trkdriver99

Re: New small pouch
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »
I saw one with the button done that way and have tried to do one that way. Not as neat as yours but I am working at it. I have a couple that I have made for SAR presentations I will post later.
Ronnie

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:36:57 AM »
Larry, I like the size of the bag especially the button treatment.  What color is that you used?  It looks nice and aged.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:36:16 AM »
Gary,
I used Fiebings Dark Brown dye.  I wetted the leather first, which reduced the amount of dye required.  I put a second coat on the outside when it was dry, wiping with a rag, brushed on. Then I applied Kiwi brown shoe polish with a damp sponge and brushed it off, just like polishing shoes.
Larry Luck

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:53:43 AM »
Larry, I don't get the button thing.  Is the last pic an inside out of the button mount??
Mike Lee

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »
I like.  What are the dimensions?

Offline TPH

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:03:27 AM »
Interesting. Is that a button or a stud? If the latter, it will be much stronger and more secure, I like it.

EDIT:
Ah! I just noticed the two adjustments studs on the sling, they are the same. Answers my question and shows I should be observant.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:05:43 AM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 01:42:23 AM »
Thanks, guys, for the nice comments.

The pouch is inside out in the last shot, showing the disk covering the antler button that backs and secures the pewter button.  The bag is 8" wide by 5 1/2" high.  I made the pattern out of a piece of 8 1/2' by 11' photo paper to give a little rigidity. 

Actually, they are not studs, but small (sleeve size) pewter buttons from one of the Colonial Williamsburg stores.

Larry Luck
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:13:34 AM by L. Luck »

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 04:11:56 AM »
Ok, now I get it.  Nice looking pouch for sure.  Just right for a stroll in the woods.
Mike Lee

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 04:41:18 AM »
Larry...That's a nice little pouch you have there. I have thought about attaching the strap to a pouch with buttons. Tim Albert had a bag featured on the CLA blog that was set up with a button on strap......Keep up the good work and keep those kids stirred up....Frank

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 07:25:11 AM »
I like it Larry.  It's the perfect size for a squirrel rifle or a pistol bag.  Thanks for sharing it with us.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.