Author Topic: For Schrekmeister, Suzkat, and everyone else.....a W Schrekengost swivel gun  (Read 11384 times)

Offline lexington1

I thought I would share a few pics of a William Schrekengost swivel breech I just picked up. Both barrels are 40", rifled, and .45 caliber. I think it's pretty neat and Wm certainly was a good engraver.

Offline lexington1

Offline OLUT

A beautiful example of a percussion swivel breech over under! Is there a release button or sliding trigger guard for pivoting the barrels, or is it merely a friction fit?
       OLUT

Offline lexington1

The barrels unlock by pushing up on the front of the trigger guard.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
You should be more merciful.  I'm drooling right now.  She is beautiful.  Is that the  one that sold at Bonhams a few years back?  Thanks for sharing the photos.  I'd love to hear the story of it's past.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Holy Cow!  It's not the Bonham auction rifle.  It's yet another of his swivels that I hadn't seen before.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Nice!!!!!!!
Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

After viewing the photobucket pictures, the condition of this rifle is tremendous.    I would love to see the toe plate as well.  She sure is pretty. 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
This is a great rifle. In many ways.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
    Hey Wes, 
         Nice find, and this one doesn't look to need anything but a bolt.  That gun room will soon need an expansion.....
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline WKevinD

I just looked at the photobucket pics. Did anyone see that front sight treatment? That is just beautiful!
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

He often did that front sight treatment even on his earlier cruder engraving. The 4 circles punched on the sight are on every rifle locking the sight down.   This is his classic patchbox. Not his most elaborate work but I think he created the swivel mechanism on his own forge which makes up for any lack of embellishment. 

Offline Shreckmeister

Here's a nice feature only seen on one other Shreckengost rifle.  Looks like stamping filled with black as a border along the
stock above the toe plate.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:43:32 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

I had a chance to witness disassembly of this swivel breach recently by an experienced gunsmith.  The workmanship is amazing.
The hand forged swivel mechanism is a marvel.  The sideplates forward of the swivel, lock, counterplate and barrels are all dovetailed into the swivel
mechanism.  The work is tight to tolerances that are nearly CNC work.  Blows me away that this was done in a 20 foot shop with no more than
daylight to work with.  The lock on this rifle is marked Whitmore & Wolfe and dates to the period 1836-1852 making the rifle earlier than I had
originally thought.  The lock is original to the rifle as the inletting is closely done around the inner workings.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:16:52 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

This ad from a Pittsburgh Directory for a later partnership which dated 1858-1872 shows Whitmore Wolfe Duff & Co selling locks.

Offline PPatch

Beautiful rifle(s)... you can almost feel the joy felt in the crafting of it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline jdm

• member 2
The man was a perfectionist. He took pride in his work as a statement of who he was. I don't  think  that type of quality was  the norm in that time period.
JIM

Offline lexington1

I looked it over well, and it really is superb craftsmanship and high quality. He had to have hand made all of the swivel breech components. Amazing!

leadslinger62

Hard to believe the Craftsmanship in that Rifle !! Nice find Wes....

Offline lexington1

Thanks Leadslinger, but the swivel breech is back with the Schrekengost family now where it belongs.

leadslinger62

As it should be....

Offline Shreckmeister