Author Topic: stock blank  (Read 6606 times)

greybeard

stock blank
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z378/Bob_Reader/001_1.jpg

A short time ago I decided to bite the bullet and saw the pictured blank with a hand saw. Did not take long to get tired out. Half hour with a file and saw set, cut my time down by 75%!!
Sharp tools are a must.
    Bob
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:42:42 PM by greybeard »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: stock blank
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:05:02 AM »
I used to do that 35 years ago. Glad I don't have to do it any more!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:13:30 AM »
When I decided to try to figure out how to make a rifle completely by hand,  I quickly learned that I had to learn how to sharpen saws as they needed to be touched up each time before using just like I do chisels.    Sharp tools make quite a difference, but very few people know how to sharpen their tools.    It used to be the first thing you learned in the trades.     

You know, it might be a good idea for the ALR tent at Dixon's to dedicate a future show entirely to tool sharpening workshops for chisels (flats, gouges, and parting tools),  plane blades,  wooden spokeshaves,  draw knives, saws, drill bits (original and twist drills),  hatchets, etc.......  This is such a rich area for hands-on demos.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:15:43 AM »
I used to do that two years ago.

Mr. Elliot is right. Sharpening is key.  I tried to sharpen a saw and did a good job but I changed the direction it cut.  ???

Coryjoe

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:37:54 AM »
Heck and Hades Yeah!

I didn't know the joy of sharp hand tools until I attended a timberframe building workshop where we made this:

with properly sharp chisels, slicks, handsaws, drills, even "sit on it" double-handle boring machines.  It was a real eye opener-whooping all those green 8x10 and such timbers of Tulip/Yellow Poplar into the puzzle pieces that we then pinned into place and erected.

Just bought my second saw-sharpening file today.  

BUT!!!

one in every crowd...I am actually SAWING more now with the Japanese-style pull saws*.  As in today, buiiding my first joiner's bench ala Paul Sellers design and demonstration.

*but that learning to sharpen saws made my bow-saw a brilliant tool for green wood work and now, as a surveyor I keep a really sharp 18" blade (of 1095) on my hip most days long.  My power tools are getting lonesome. Bought another cross-cut vintage Western style today for 3 bucks. Sharpening plane iron tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:39:46 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

blackbruin

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 04:57:39 AM »
When I decided to try to figure out how to make a rifle completely by hand,  I quickly learned that I had to learn how to sharpen saws as they needed to be touched up each time before using just like I do chisels.    Sharp tools make quite a difference, but very few people know how to sharpen their tools.    It used to be the first thing you learned in the trades.     

You know, it might be a good idea for the ALR tent at Dixon's to dedicate a future show entirely to tool sharpening workshops for chisels (flats, gouges, and parting tools),  plane blades,  wooden spokeshaves,  draw knives, saws, drill bits (original and twist drills),  hatchets, etc.......  This is such a rich area for hands-on demos.

Are you volunteering?

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 05:09:09 AM »
When I decided to try to figure out how to make a rifle completely by hand,  I quickly learned that I had to learn how to sharpen saws as they needed to be touched up each time before using just like I do chisels.    Sharp tools make quite a difference, but very few people know how to sharpen their tools.    It used to be the first thing you learned in the trades.    

You know, it might be a good idea for the ALR tent at Dixon's to dedicate a future show entirely to tool sharpening workshops for chisels (flats, gouges, and parting tools),  plane blades,  wooden spokeshaves,  draw knives, saws, drill bits (original and twist drills),  hatchets, etc.......  This is such a rich area for hands-on demos.

Are you volunteering?

I will do demos for a couple types of tools, but I was hoping maybe Tom might consider a theme for one year.   I think the hands-on demos all  weekend at the ALR tent are often more useful than the 45 minute seminars.    I have learned a lot sitting there and listening to Tom, Mitch and the like.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:10:59 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »
As a new builder. Just retired. I learn more from my goofs than anything. Hands on I have a chance. An of course all of your advise. An that deserves a big thanks to Joe thanks for your advice. Some goofs are ok. Way of learning. But the really big one are bad.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:02:02 AM by oldtravler61 »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 10:50:01 PM »
As a new builder. Just retired. I learn more from my goofs than anything. Hands on I have a chance. An of course all of your advise. An that deserves a big thanks
Goofs are good learning tools but if your working on a fine piece of curly maple and know its going to be a fine gunstock.Your getting into it with a not so sharp chisel and find you need to put a little more effort into it and all of a sudden,oops.......that's the goof you want to avoid by learning how to put a good edge on that chisel.Learned that lesson on another type project.I think its a great idea teaching folks the right way to sharpen tools,I'm always up for a little schooling.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 01:53:13 AM »
I don't know about other people, but for me,  there is also a discipline problem to keeping tools sharp.    A edged tool probably needs to be honed at least every 20 minutes of use.    If you don't do it, and often I don't, then you are at the very least working harder than necessary; but more importantly,  you run a greater risk of a slip (doing damage somewhere else) or a chip out.  Maintaining properly sharpened chisels is essential for great work. 

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 12:40:16 PM »
Mark that's the opps I'm talking about,that slip because your putting to much effort into it.With a razor sharp chisel it should cut with minimal effort. Same goes with all tools.Could hurt yourself for that matter if your in the way of the opps,skin cuts a heck of a lot easier than wood.I can tell a big difference in my chisel when its time for a touch up.I get lazy sometimes and say to myself your almost there don't bother with the strop or if more is needed,thats rolling the dice

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 02:01:03 PM »
When you get used to working with sharp tools you can't tolerate dull ones. As soon as I feel the tool dulling I take a few seconds with the leather. This also lets you step back and get perspective on your work.
Sharpening tools is an easily learned and necessary skill. There are lots of good books on the subjects. A sharp hand saw is a joy, a dull one a curse.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline FDR

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 06:06:38 PM »
I will never forget a friend at work, now passed, who wanted to learn to bed a rifle stock.  He was just amazed at how sharp my tools were when he visited my shop for the first time.

greybeard

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 10:40:24 PM »
google   new life for an old saw.
   lots of good info there.  Bob

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 05:17:13 AM »
Joe S thanks for your reply. Goofs r ok. An everyone learns from them but the big ones. Really can mess your day up.