Author Topic: Wirth Lancaster PA  (Read 4341 times)

twines

Wirth Lancaster PA
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:47:43 AM »
I recently acquired a full stocked musket in 45 cal,  It has no marks or signature.  The lock is marked Wirth Lancaster PA.  It not a great build but I believe it was constructed as a percussion rifle. I would like to find out any information available on the lock/rifle.  Here is a link to pictures.

http://s773.photobucket.com/user/twines12/library/Wirth%20Lancaster?sort=2&page=1

Thanks

Tom

Offline T*O*F

Re: Wirth Lancaster PA
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 06:34:06 PM »
First off, it's not a musket.

It also appears that the triggers have been replaced as they do not match the wrist profile and the trigger guard is ill fitted over them.  It may have been replaced as well.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline okawbow

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:42:06 PM »
Looks like it was originally flintlock, and had the percussion lock added when converted.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

twines

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »
Triggers are missing a screw and fit in the profile correctly when in place.  Not sure about the conversion.  The barrel appears have been made percussion but I am better with newer stuff.  Thanks for the input.  Still looking for Wirth.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:47:55 PM »
I would not be surprised if it was a Hampshire County VA/WVA rifle. I am sure that    Avlrc can give you some information regarding the area this rifle might have originated.

I am going to move the topic over to Antique Guns Forum where it should get more views by our collector members.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

twines

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:41:27 PM »
Thanks Dennis.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 02:39:27 AM »
The patchbox looks Virginia possible Hampshire County. The oval in the cheek piece is something seen on a lot of our rifles.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:27:14 AM by Avlrc »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »
Worth was no doubt the lock maker, not the gunsmith.

Hungry Horse