Author Topic: German Silver on hunting rifle  (Read 3014 times)

Offline frogwalking

German Silver on hunting rifle
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:08:35 AM »
I am gathering parts to make my 16 year old granddaughter a flint hunting rifle.  I bought a dandy little 31 inch barrel from Rice and a small siler flintlock at Dixons. I just ordered a piece of sugar maple from Dan at Dunlaps.  I intend to use a fowler pattern so it will be easy and quick to handle.  Since  no attempt will be mad to make this rifle historically correct, my question is; will German silver tarnish enough to not be a liability for hunting, or should I use brass?

Just before we left for Dixons, she killed the big boar coon that had been ravishing their chicken house.  She killed it with a broad head bolt from her crossbow.  That settled the question of whether or not to build her a rifle in addition to the music box I made her several years ago.  (She beat out her brother who was also there with a 20 gauge shotgun.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:09:29 AM by frogwalking »
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: German Silver on hunting rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:24:32 AM »
I am gathering parts to make my 16 year old granddaughter a flint hunting rifle.  I bought a dandy little 31 inch barrel from Rice and a small siler flintlock at Dixons. I just ordered a piece of sugar maple from Dan at Dunlaps.  I intend to use a fowler pattern so it will be easy and quick to handle.  Since  no attempt will be mad to make this rifle historically correct, my question is; will German silver tarnish enough to not be a liability for hunting, or should I use brass?

Just before we left for Dixons, she killed the big boar coon that had been ravishing their chicken house.  She killed it with a broad head bolt from her crossbow.  That settled the question of whether or not to build her a rifle in addition to the music box I made her several years ago.  (She beat out her brother who was also there with a 20 gauge shotgun.)

My choice of trim would be iron (steel)or silver.

Bob Roller

Online moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 02:57:37 AM »
German silver won't be too bright if you don't keep it polished to a high luster.  My experience with it is that it doesn't tarnish as quickly as brass but it isn't reflective unless highly polished.  I won't hesitate to use it if you're concerned about it reflecting light.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Steve-In

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:00:38 AM »
I have a German silver mounted rifle.  It should tarnish enough to be used for hunting with no problem.
I just don't like the looks of tarnished GS compared to brass.  Brass looks good where the GS looks neglected to ME.  IMHO if you want the tarnished look go with brass.  Why pay extra for GS just to let it tarnish.  Your opinion may be different.  I would put a nice silver thumb-piece with your and her initials on it.
I think it is great your are making this rifle for your Granddaughter.  I am sure it will be a prized family heirloom someday.

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:50:51 AM »
I would give it a matte polish, if using GS, but, also, if I were building a gun with GS fittings, I would use a Cherry stock. They compliment each other very well. On the other hand brass on maple with a silver thumb piece is very classy.
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »
I have a original half stock mounted with german silver that has tarnished nicely enough so that it wont be too reflective. I have used it to take three deer over the years and those deer didnt know the difference.