Author Topic: hunting bags  (Read 5798 times)

Ephraim

hunting bags
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »
I see a lot of new hunting bags that are lined. My question is how common was it for old bags to be lined ?
Ephraim

Offline art riser

Re: hunting bags
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
not very

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:22:51 AM »
Old vintage bags were hardly ever lined. I have never seen one with a lining, but a few have been known that had a liner on the back or underside of the front flap. However, if you were making bags to sell I would line the whole thing because that is what bag buyers like and expect when they purchase a bag.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:42:35 AM »
I concur with Randy.  Buyers pretty much set the tone.  Personally I don't care to have my own lined and really don't see the need as I prefer to let the bag age nicely on its own and through use.  What happens when the lining gets ripped, especially near the bottom? Now ya gotta fix it.  Takes too much time from fun like shootin, huntin, shootin, etc. 
While we're on the subject, when did the use of brass or iron rings come into vogue?  I would suspect mid to late 19th century?  Just curious, I see alot of fellas using them as well as rivets.  Dang, now I gotta carry extra of those should they break.   ;D
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »
As a maker, I line bags when the leather is a commercial tan that might be too flimsy on its own, especially deer skin, but you get some nice bark tan, no need.  I have seen some lined bags in books but I do not think it is that common, even when I do it, it is probably not needed, but as was said above the buyers set the market.  I don't like aging stuff but I do that all the time to.

Coryjoe

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:48:43 AM »
As a maker, I dont line bags unless there ordered that way, as far as aging, I wont and dont do it ,EVER!, bags 200 years ago were new, the owners took care of their stuff, they didnt spray them with any caustic chemicals to crack the leather and give it a half life, I make pouches new, if you want them to look old, you beat the $#@* out of them !
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:53:09 AM by Beaverman »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 06:17:08 AM »
LMAO!   :D  Right on Beaverman!

Gary ;D
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 12:42:31 AM »
I was recently talking with a friend on aging stuff.  Frankly, I am scared of some of those chemicals.  I might want to dig something out of my bag, and then eat. 

Coryjoe

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:15:04 AM »
This (the aging thing) is very much a "personal choice" matter.  For my tastes I agree with Beaverman that when I buy something I want it to be "new".  I want it to look the way it would have looked when it left the maker's shop perhaps 250 years ago.  BUT that's just me.  That's what I want.

However I repeat, that is just my OWN opinion and preference.

I also very much understand where those who do choose to "age"their products are coming from, and I have no problem with that.  It actually takes a great deal of skill to make something "new" look "old".  I sincerely congratulate those who can do so for their talents.  They turn out some absolutely fantastic products!

To each his own.  That is the beauty of this hobby.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:42:18 AM »
I agree Brian, and properly aging something to achieve a truly accurate look takes a trained eye and a lot of skill.  In  fact when it is done well, I consider it an artform in and of itself. 

Coryjoe

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 05:17:24 AM »
Geez, Its like magic!! How does a thread that is started by someone wanting to know about the historical correctness of lining a hunting pouch evolve into a thread about artificial aging.

Sorry Ephraim, the first two replies relate to your question, the third reply kind of went a little sideways and from then on, the next 6 replies  have absolutely nothing to do with your question.

Its magic, its got to be magic,

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Ephraim

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 02:34:08 AM »
That is all right I have been enjoying the talk about PC I too don't believe that your equipment should look all wore out if it meant your life you would take better care of it. But people will buy any thing and think it is pc. because someone that wrote a book said it is so .
Ephraim

Swampman

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 04:02:15 AM »
I won't buy a bag unless it's aged.  Aging requires no chemicals.