Author Topic: "Kiser Rifle"  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
"Kiser Rifle"
« on: August 08, 2015, 11:29:04 PM »
Perhaps some of you missed the discussion on the "Antique" board about this rifle. It was sold, though misrepresent as antique, for $3000. I am wondering what any of you would charge to make a similar rifle today. I think this purchaser got at least a fair to even good deal based "artisitic merit."
Was it a good deal? Great deal  ??  by todays contemporary makers standards. What would it cost to make today?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=497260600

Hurricane

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: "Kiser Rifle"
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 01:36:18 AM »
Fred,  

I can't/won't make a rifle for someone else for less than $6000.   That is for a plain, fully brass mounted, right-hand flint rifle with a moderately curly red maple stock.   Most of my iron mounted guns (my particular niche) are mid-$6000s.   A carved and engraved rifle is going to be mid-$8000s.    Those prices are no indication of how good I think I am.   They are the prices I must charge in order to make a living where I live.   They also represent an opportunity cost; in other words,  the price I must get in order to build a rifle as opposed to doing something else for a living.  I am fortunate in that I can and have done a number of things for a living.   If I make a gun for less this this, then it is by definition, a hobby.  

Again,  these prices have nothing to do with artistic merit or craftsmanship.  I am well aware there are a lot of people who do better work than me, and most of them lurk here.   The prices I quoted are purely about economic reality.    It takes so many hours to build a rifle, and I need to make so much an hour in order to pay my bills.  Other's circumstances may be different; meaning that their economics are different.   However,  from what I can gather, these prices are in line with what the real professional builders charge.  

I am not sure if you are asking what it would cost to make an as new rifle like the Kiser or a similar rifle that looks like an antique.  I only know two or three contemporary builders who could make a new rifle of the decorative level of the Kiser rifle and make it look like an actual antique.   I believe they would charge five figures for such a rifle.   Although,  they would do a better job

While I feel the rifle in question has artistic merit,  I feel the craftsmanship is not up to the level of the best work being done today.    Actually, I know at least a half dozen builders who would make you a better rifle of the same artistic level for less than $10,000.  Some would charge more, but a good number would do it for less.      

I have answered your question fully and frankly.   I hope I don't end up regretting it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:53:00 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:43:25 AM »
 That kind of money for a misrepresented antique, with a broken stock, and lock. I'd have a legal weasel on them in no notes. The gun look pretty heavily used. I wouldn't pay more than about a grand for it.

Hungry Horse

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 02:06:19 AM »
Fred,
        I build a dozen or more rifles a year, plus some restoration work.  I would the artistic merit of the rifle on a scale of 1-10 to be less than a 5 by todays standards.  When this rifle was built there was so very much less information available than there is today, and the rifle might have been regarded  a standout at that time.  Today the carving and engraving would be considered rather pedestrian.  To re-create the rifle today at the cost of new parts etc. and to today's standards the cost would exceed the selling price, by close to $1000.   
         I agree that the gavel price for the gun was way high.  I can only guess that there were two buyers that had some sentimental attachment to the rifle and/or maker.   Had the rifle been in pristine condition, it might have  come close to the price paid, but this rifle has seen a lot of miles and not all the roads were paved. 

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 02:06:33 AM »
If I were to comment on the value of the Kiser rifle,  I would have to say that I don't find it appealing enough to want to give you anything for it, even if I had it to give.  However, that is just a matter of taste and interest.  Assuming I had it to spend, I would spend that kind of money on an intact, attic-condition, plain, iron-mounted rifle,  but that is where my interest lies.   I have photographed a Bean for which I would pay many times $3000,  if I had the money and the opportunity.   I see craftsmanship in different places.   Personally,  I see precious little craftsmanship in the Kiser, and it is broken in pieces.   ;)  

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 03:47:18 AM »
Thank you guys for the lesson....I appreciated the lesser quality of engraving and the use...still found it attrqctive. I still have a lot to learn..sincere thanks, always refreshing.
Hurricane

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »
That's a pretty busy rifle, lots of carving, engraving, brass box. None of it attractively executed   to me :P, although I'd assume it was built in the 70's so some latitude has to be given for craftsmanship and design  because of that. I'd want $3800 give or take a couple hundred for a rifle decorated to that level... (I can live cheaper than Mark because I grow my own tobacco and roll my own cigars....life is much cheaper that way ;D) I'd not want to "repop" that particular rifle though, and would turn down the job if that were one of the requirements.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?